rocks were just tough!

What kind of "rocks" are you talking about? If they are the cornish cross, then yes they should be butchered at 8 or so weeks. I can't see keeping 25 of them alive until 8 months so I am thinking you are talking about some other kind of "rock", barred or standard in which case 8 months should be fine. You just need to let them rest like the others have said.

Quote:
This works great for us too... sometimes, after a big day of butchering, you just want to get them wrapped and frozen and be done with it, and you don't want to spend any more energy on setting the birds up for resting period. But you can rest them just as well on the other end, after they come out of the freezer. This means for Spudd dud, you still have the chance to rest the meat when you thaw it out.

Finally, I'm sorry for being SUCH a broken record on this subject, but brine does magic for tough birds. It changes the protein structure and draws moisture into the meat. For those of you who have already seen me post the following link, I apologize. (I've posted it about four times on similar threads).

For those who haven't seen it, give it a skim - it's a short article that explains the science and process behind brining.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/images/document/howto/ND01_ISBriningbasics.pdf

One last thought - everything that people said about slow-cooking the meat is right-on. Even the most tender young broiler can become tough and stringy by subjecting it to a hard boil.

I raise Barred Rock roosters for meat and never let them go beyond 18-20 weeks, they're pastured and fed broiler crumbles with some scratch corn. They're tasty and are never tough.

i am thinking that you may have thought 8 months instead of 8 weeks? i agree that the resting period of 3-4 days in the frig does wonders ( i hadnt know that for the first 2 times that i grew meat chickens and it's hard to believe what a difference it really makes ) i usually put each bird in a gallon bag left open at the top - this catches any drippings, and just drain the bag - and then vacuum seal it.

good luck!

Quote:
All right, Kris, you have to tell us what kind of "rocks" you bought. I don't see anything in the MM catalog (I'm assuming you meant McMurray Hatchery?) that said "10 months" about any breed of chicken. I don't think you could keep the hybrid Cornish X Rocks alive for 10 months without having some losses. And a chicken is considered to be an adult at 18-20 weeks. Some folks butcher their standard breed roosters at that age, some do them even earlier. I do like to let them go a bit longer so that they'll be even meatier. But I've never had one come out tough, because like I said, I let them rest & cook them slowly with some moisture.

Quote:
All right, Kris, you have to tell us what kind of "rocks" you bought. I don't see anything in the MM catalog (I'm assuming you meant McMurray Hatchery?) that said "10 months" about any breed of chicken. I don't think you could keep the hybrid Cornish X Rocks alive for 10 months without having some losses. And a chicken is considered to be an adult at 18-20 weeks. Some folks butcher their standard breed roosters at that age, some do them even earlier. I do like to let them go a bit longer so that they'll be even meatier. But I've never had one come out tough, because like I said, I let them rest & cook them slowly with some moisture.

White, Barred, and partridge. I know I read it somewhere from McMurray that it was 10 months. Either way, thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom