Rocky the Rooster (cockerel) :(

Ruby Rogue

Free Ranging
Mar 31, 2020
Atlantic Canada
Apologies for the long post.

Rocky is my dominant cockerel. Georgi is bigger, stronger, mates the girls, most of the time without their consent. George has never been aggressive towards me, he's a big scared boy, but he's sweet and my favorite. He takes care of the girls but he's a bit aggressive with his mating. Rocky keeps everyone in line, looses his s* when I collect eggs, takes very good care of his flock, I've never seen him mate but he lets Georgi do his thing, and keeps him in line. George was always submissive to Rocky and did what he was told. And George has been wearing a crow collar for a couple of months with no issue. Rocky takes his off within minutes of me getting it on.

The night before last, I put the birds in, put Rocky's collar back on, but forgot to turn the light off. I left the house at 5AM yesterday morning, the birds were let out of the coop at 9:30 am...2 hours later than I usually put them out, and came home at 5PM to 2 bloody roosters. I looked at my game camera from outside through the day, and watched their behavior, every time Rocky came near the coop or the flock, Georgi chased him off. He spent most of the day in the woods.

I assessed the damage and though there was a lot of blood in one corner of the coop, I can see no wounds on either of the boys, just dried bloody combs and some bloody neck feathers. I removed their collars for the time being and put George in a crate with food and water inside the coop. Everyone slept peacefully in the coop together last night.

I'm sad that this happened. I have a total of 20 chickens, all have been integrated for a couple of months, including 4 mature pullets who were hatched with the 2 older boys, 7 immature pullets, 7 immature cockerels, which I was planning to get rid of (eventually). I wanted to keep both Rocky and George. They were best friends before this and I loved how they both worked with each other, Georgi bred and told the girls where the treats were, Rocky protected and alerted, and also told the girls where the treats were.

I can't see what happened the other night, but everything was so peaceful before and everyone had their place and got along fine. I'm going to keep George crated in the coop for today and try to let him out tomorrow and see how he does. Everyone else is doing fine, they free range, Rocky's with them crowing his head off as usual. I have a neighbor who doesn't appreciate the sound of a rooster as much as I do so the collars are a (somewhat necessary) courtesy which I still plan to use after they settle down. (In case you're wondering)

Can this work itself out?

Generally once fighting starts there is no resolution until one bird is a clear winner. After that given enough space and depending upon the roosters involved they may develop a workable relationship. Only time will tell whether or not that is possible. Be prepared for more fighting once you release Georgi.

Thanks for the response... I let George out in the coop with Rocky there... they were okay for a minute but it's clear to me that Rocky is the aggressor, and George had just beat him yesterday, that's why he was in the woods and being chased off. I upset the order by crating George, now he's being run off... soooooo I think we'll have to get rid of Rocky. He's shown aggression towards us as well, I was just hoping we could settle him down. George is prettier and more docile, and submissive so I think today's the day to remove Rocky.

I don't know... this is them now...

Attachments

• IMG_20201018_1236101.jpg
    IMG_20201018_1236101.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20201018_1235326.jpg
    IMG_20201018_1235326.jpg
    989.7 KB · Views: 22
I think that unless you are running a breeding programme and need a specific type of genes in your bloodline, then you should select the rooster that will bring harmony to your flock, and peace to your family. Or get rid of them both if you aren't breeding at all, and with the neighbour issue you have, I personally wouldn't keep roosters at all and make them wear collars.

Can this work itself out?
This can work itself out.. with enough room, depending on your boys. My two boys.. fought it out daily and went to bed together nightly for about a week.. then the one who lost, heads off early int he morning instead of staying near the feeder for whoopin.. but he joins the flock and hangs out in the background.. allowed to eat and tolerated.. but toeing the line.

However.. NONE of your birds including those two boys are mature. What happened is they are growing up, their hormones are changing, and they will test the boundaries that are established.. pecking order changes ALL the time in young still maturing flocks. Full maturity is closer to 2 years and not before 1 when they earn their hen and rooster badges.

It's just a matter of time before both boys want to spread their seed.. and sometimes they even hold the pullets down and take turn mating them.. That's not cooperation.. it's immature hormonal idiots competing to further their genetics. What you are viewing as cooperation is simply the boys are still figuring their stuff out. They may or may not cooperate in the future.

All though I prefer straight combs, I think the rose combed boy is prettier.

No rudeness, just curiosity.. why keep a rooster/cockerel if you gotta use a crow collar?

Selecting either boy AT this stage.. won't tell the whole truth.. as they may change once the competition is gone or more hormones kick in.. for the better or for the worse.. Many folks including myself keep a stag pen so the ladies have peace from cockerels. I only keep boys for eating and breeding.. but a grown and mature rooster is MUCH different and a huge flock bonus.

Best wishes! :fl

Thanks for the advice and input. I plan on using them for breeding, and wanted to keep both for their different traits, Georgi (with the rose comb) is going to stay, Rocky, though I love his comb, and him, I think has to go. The collars aren't absolutely necessary and George's crow is hardly loud or shrill like the other boy's, and though ne never minded the collar, he probably doesn't 'need' it. I was just using them (unsuccessfully with Rocky anyways) as a courtesy.

They're getting along fine now, but Rocky has just been too aggressive lately, I know how to keep him in line and he doesn't bother me, but I have kids around and he came at my daughter the other day, gave her a scratch and a scare. Doesn't like me to touch the eggs, et cetera... I already made a request for the 'deed' to be done and am having second thoughts... probably can't take it back now, the man of the house would get rid of all of the boys if he could. :(

Still have 7 more to go...

Last edited:
You are in that wishing stage, we and least me, have been there. Wishing they would all just get along. Wishing and chickens don't mix.

I think you will be happier have the cull, there is quite a bit of tension in a flock with that much aggression, and that should relax.

A problem that might arise is that Georgie - his behavior will change when you remove the counter balance...how it changes can be a bit of a crapshoot. However, you got 7 more to pick from if he doesn't work out either. Keep at it till you get a truly good one.

Mrs K

You are in that wishing stage, we and least me, have been there. Wishing they would all just get along. Wishing and chickens don't mix.

I think you will be happier have the cull, there is quite a bit of tension in a flock with that much aggression, and that should relax.

A problem that might arise is that Georgie - his behavior will change when you remove the counter balance...how it changes can be a bit of a crapshoot. However, you got 7 more to pick from if he doesn't work out either. Keep at it till you get a truly good one.

Mrs K
Thanks for the moral support. The boys are my absolute favorite. Even though Rocky gives me the flap everytime I pick up an egg. I hope George keeps his calm demeanor with humans and isn't too affected by his best friend's sudden absence. They really are best friends, even today after all that happened yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom