Rodents

Who knew a thread on rodents would be so funny??? I have something tunneling all over my chicken run. I let my guard down a bit so I’ve stepped up the rodent control. We do have moles too!

I've seen a few moles around and actually caught one in a mouse trap! But they don't seem to be nearly as bad as mice. At least for me!

Chipmunk are good at driving my dogs insane. There seems to be less of them this year. We caught quite a few with a rat trap inside a 3 gallon bucket with seeds sprinkled around. We are going to try that for the rat that now is enjoying dining in the turkey shed.

We're overrun with what I only know as "black squirrels", for the first time in decades. Not the typical gray ones you see everywhere. Someone said they are 'ground squirrels'. These black squirrels tunnel under everything: house, tuff shed, garage, water tanks. They also have a very high-pitched alarm chirp which goes on and on. Caught one yesterday and gave her a new zip code.

I never use the poison baits. There is collateral damage when your half-dead-from-eating-poison mouse staggers out into the open and Mr. Screech Owl or Mrs. Great Horned Owl snags it as a snack. The same poison that gets to your mouse also gets to the owl, in some quantity. Since owls (and other raptors) are the good guys in the battle against rodent pests, makes no sense to harm them, too. Just sayin'.

I hate to use something that will injure a non-target critter. Any bait suggestions for that live trap? Closing their holes after putting poison down there? They are good at digging new openings, I'd worry about that too. :he
Mary
Since groundhogs are herbivores maybe apples would be a treat?

I'm in central Florida and have seen a fast growth of rats. We continuously put out traps, poison and home remedies with not much result. They are devouring the feed. I don't know what else to do. Suggestions please!

We're overrun with what I only know as "black squirrels", for the first time in decades. Not the typical gray ones you see everywhere. Someone said they are 'ground squirrels'. These black squirrels tunnel under everything: house, tuff shed, garage, water tanks. They also have a very high-pitched alarm chirp which goes on and on. Caught one yesterday and gave her a new zip code.

I never use the poison baits. There is collateral damage when your half-dead-from-eating-poison mouse staggers out into the open and Mr. Screech Owl or Mrs. Great Horned Owl snags it as a snack. The same poison that gets to your mouse also gets to the owl, in some quantity. Since owls (and other raptors) are the good guys in the battle against rodent pests, makes no sense to harm them, too. Just sayin'.
I think some gray squirrels are also black. I know some Fox squirrels are too but the fox squirrels don't do any harm. I had a severe infestation. Rats of all sizes. This is what I used. If I see any activity I reload. The Rat bait box has a little window above the bait so I can check it regularly and other critters can't get to the bait.
RatBait.jpg RatBaitStationRev.jpg .

Back
Top Bottom