Rogers county OK, just outside Claremore:)

DMD17

Hatching
Feb 28, 2015
Hello everyone:)
Looking to start a chicken family and convert my old shed into a coop.
Looking forward to great advice.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you have joined us.
Raising your own chickens is so rewarding, hope you do get your own flock.

Feel free to ask questions, we're here to help.

If you haven't seen the Learning Center, please explore it..there are a lot of great articles to help you get started.

You may want to post questions, pics of the shed under coop/run forums for input in how to do the conversion.

Again, welcome and good luck.

I have no idea what breed of chicken I'm looking for???
My hubby eats three eggs a day everyday, I cook with 2-3 daily and thhe kids eat them fere and there.
I would like to regularly have 6 eggs daily.
How many chickens would I need and what kind of chickens would I be looking for?

I am looking to start out simple, I have two acres- last acre is square foot gardens. I am looking to convert the old shed and place it right in the middle for the back acre.
I was thinking the chickens could free roam a little daily while we are tending to the garden and spend the remainder in a chicken run and coop area.:)

I have no idea what breed of chicken I'm looking for???
My hubby eats three eggs a day everyday, I cook with 2-3 daily and thhe kids eat them fere and there.
I would like to regularly have 6 eggs daily.
How many chickens would I need and what kind of chickens would I be looking for?

I am looking to start out simple, I have two acres- last acre is square foot gardens. I am looking to convert the old shed and place it right in the middle for the back acre.
I was thinking the chickens could free roam a little daily while we are tending to the garden and spend the remainder in a chicken run and coop area.:)
hi sounds like a good plan.chickens lay about 1egg every 26to30 hours. If you want 6 or so eggs I'd get 8-10 hens..

Welcome to BYC.
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community!

If you want 6 eggs a day, I would get around 10 hens. I'd choose some of the better laying breeds, such as Black Sex-Links, Red Sex-Links, Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Rocks, Australorps, Orpingtons, or Wyandottes. These birds should provide you with enough eggs, at least in the summer months.

However, keep in mind that most chickens do take breaks from laying in the fall or winter. They don't lay while molting, and usually won't lay when daylight hours are too short (unless you provide supplemental lighting). So, even with 10 chickens, there may be periods in the year when you're not getting many eggs, or no eggs at all.

Back
Top Bottom