Rogue Brand Organic, Soy Free Layer Pellets? OR something similar?

mamabear72

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 7, 2014
Northern Nevada
I would love to hear reviews on Rogue Organic, Soy Free Layer Pellets. (or the like)
I want to feed a soy free, preferably organic feed but the different in price might sway me.
Is $22 for a 40 lb. bag normal? My chicks are still only two weeks old so they'll be getting starter for a while still but I'm preparing for egg laying in the future so want to have all my "chickens in a row" ha ha BEFORE they're old enough to switch.

This is the info I found on this particular food...

A Certified Organic poultry LAYER ration with added calcium for egg shell quality. Manufactured in a pellet form.
16% Protein: Helps ensure that growth goals can be met… Supplies the proper level of Canola based protein for egg production.
Organic Grains: All-Natural Nutrition… All organic grains are Certified Organic by Washington State Department of Agriculture.
Vitamins & Minerals: Convenience… Supplies vitamins, minerals and other nutrients in the proper amounts. Formulated specially for laying hens.

Ingredients: Organic Grains, Organic Corn, Organic Canola Meal, Monocalcium Phosphate, Vitamin Premix Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Niacin, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine, MSBC (Vitamin K), Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E Supplement, Trace Mineralized Salt.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 16.0%
Lysine 0.75%
Methionine 0.49%
Crude Fat 3.00%
Crude Fiber 4.00%
Calcium (minimum) 3.50%
Calcium (maximum) 4.50%
Phosphorus 0.74%
Zinc 35 ppm
Copper 4 ppm
Vitamin A 4500 IU/lb.
Vitamin E 16 IU/lb.

Hi, I wonder of you have Payback (CHS) feeds available in your area? I switched to Payback about 2 years ago and I'm very happy with it. I feed 19% protein All-purpose Poultry pellet over the winter when laying is low, then 17% Layer pellet mixed about 1/2-1/2 or 3/4-1/4 with the all-purpose pellet the rest of the year. I've noticed my flock has improved feather condition with the addition of the higher protein feed.

Payback comes in organic/non-GMO but it is cost-prohibitive for me. I use the regular Payback. It all depends on your desires/budget/size of flock. I also like Payback since it is milled in Harrisburg, Oregon and always seems very fresh. I mention this since you asked about Rogue feed, so I'm wondering if you live in Oregon also.

Last edited:
The lysine and methionine are higher than in my organic grower feed - that's a good thing.
Mine is only 0.64 lysine and 0.27 methionine. Mine is made with soy.
Yours is a good price for soy free.
The organic layer I can get is about $ 27 for 50 pounds.
I know people around here that pay up to 40.
My organic grower (Nature's Grown) is only 16% protein and is $22 for 50 pounds.
The price and the fact that I ferment it, making it go much farther is the only reason I can afford to use it.
It's the base feed for my entire flock. I add fishmeal to it to up the protein for chicks and molting birds.
I make sure oyster shell is available in all the pens and coops at all times for layers.

Good Morning & thank you for your responses
smile.png

No I'm not in Oregon, we live in Northern Nevada but seem to carry many Oregon Farm feeds.
I have access to three organic NON Soy/Corn foods via Azure Standard's food co-op...Rogue, Scratch & Peck and Magill Ranch.
I haven't done much research on any others so I'll have have check out all our feed stores and see what they have too.
I'll see if I can access either of the two suggested here

Kristen

I order the soy free formula by Rogue from Azure Standard. I have been getting it for years. This is the only way I can eat eggs. Store-bought eggs do not settle for me and cause some thyroid/hormone problems. Since I started feeding my chickens this soy free feed from Rogue I can have all the eggs I want. The chickens love it! In cold months when they can't roam outside, offer some small pebbles or grit to keep them from getting diarrhea. (This is true for any type of feed though)

I just started feeding my chicken these pellets and they do not like it at all, they would rather eat dirt, the poor things. I have tried crushing it into a more powder like appearance but for some reason they pick through their food and find the seeds (a different feed) and peck out the pellets. Don't buy!

Chickens are always going to pick seeds over pellets. Stop mixing the feed & when they get hungry they will eat. I switch all the time between pellets, crumble & mash with grains & never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom