Rogue chicken

Heat

Songster
8 Years
Aug 24, 2011
Washington
2 weeks ago I thought we lost a hen as she didn't return to the coop with the rest of the flock. But the next morning I found her out in the run, completely soaked (I scoured the run, upper yard, lower yard, and woods with a flashlight the night before and didn't see her). Then the next night she was gone again just to return the next morning. On the third night I just assumed I would see her the next morning... but no sign. I had hope she was still alive, but never saw her. after 24 hours I just assumed she was gone...

Then a week later I saw her in the run when I was letting everyone else out.... but she was gone that night. So I now assume she has found a safe haven somewhere on my 10 acres of mostly wooded land.

Is this maybe a sign that she has gone broody and has a nest somewhere? Maybe I should start expecting her to come walking up with chicks in about a month? Anyone else have this dilemma?

Im not sure at all. My suspicion is she is sitting on a nest somewhere on the property but I'm not even sure where to begin.

I wasn't sure if it was a sign she could be broody somewhere or if it is normal for hens to just stray away from the coop.

Back
Top Bottom