Rogue Rooster Hanging Out with Our Girls??

brandimularski33

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2022
Hey all! So we transported our chicks to our coop a week ago and they are loving their new home and their new run. We have an open run that is heavily shaded and we let them out almost the whole day for the first time yesterday. I am a stay at home mom and am here most of the time and check on them throughout the day. We plan to free range once they are bigger and return to their coop every night.

Since moving them our neighbor’s rooster- not sure which neighbor as we are surrounded by woods and their are people who live in the back- has been coming on our property and crowing and walking around the coop. I’ve ran him off twice- I’ve had traumatizing rooster experiences when I was a kid and have no interest in dealing with a strange one.

Unfortunately, I let the chicks out early this morning and it flew into the run about an hour after. My husband tried to get it out but he had to go to work and we plan to deal with it later. It doesn’t seem to be messing with the chicks but I don’t understand why it wants to be around. Is it a threat or is it instinctively wanting to protect them? It is a leghorn- not sure if that’s docile or not. I plan to check on them throughout the day but am a bit of a coward when it comes to trying to get it out myself. Any thoughts are appreciated!

I do plan to post in neighborhood app to locate the owners.

Hey all! So we transported our chicks to our coop a week ago and they are loving their new home and their new run. We have an open run that is heavily shaded and we let them out almost the whole day for the first time yesterday. I am a stay at home mom and am here most of the time and check on them throughout the day. We plan to free range once they are bigger and return to their coop every night.

Since moving them our neighbor’s rooster- not sure which neighbor as we are surrounded by woods and their are people who live in the back- has been coming on our property and crowing and walking around the coop. I’ve ran him off twice- I’ve had traumatizing rooster experiences when I was a kid and have no interest in dealing with a strange one.

Unfortunately, I let the chicks out early this morning and it flew into the run about an hour after. My husband tried to get it out but he had to go to work and we plan to deal with it later. It doesn’t seem to be messing with the chicks but I don’t understand why it wants to be around. Is it a threat or is it instinctively wanting to protect them? It is a leghorn- not sure if that’s docile or not. I plan to check on them throughout the day but am a bit of a coward when it comes to trying to get it out myself. Any thoughts are appreciated!

I do plan to post in neighborhood app to locate the owners.
Located the neighbor. Super sweet. Her flock free ranges and she’s lost almost all of them so thinking maybe he’s lonely?

Hey thanks!! Unfortunately a hawk grabbed our polish chick and my husband drove up right as it happened. Apparantley the rooster tried to fight it but to no avail. Hawk must have grabbed up another because we have two less. Now we are locking them up until we can get some areal netting. Sad because they were so happy the first few days and loved eating clover from their open run…we wanted to let them free range when they were bigger but like aforementioned probably won’t happen. We live on over 3 acres so pretty bummed.

Sorry to hear about the babies! Some thoughts from my experience.. I’d welcome the roo. He knows how to survive if he’s a ranger and will teach the others where to loaf and call out when there’s something off (if you decide to range). I do let mine out when I’m here. I split my time between farm and city. Also I have Mississippi kites mostly. They won’t take an adult so once past a few months old you have more options. And the netting on top is mandatory. I have a 40 foot run and would be raising coons if I didn’t have netting on top. But some losses are inevitable I just think it’s worth it to be able to watch the rest happily run about. 822pm and they still haven’t roosted! Longest day of the year today!

Back
Top Bottom