Roll away nesting box

3scorpios

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 29, 2011
Central PA
I was wandering if anybody has had this problem that I'm having. I built a new roll away egg boxes because I have an egg eater or two. I decided to build roll always instead of knocking off egg layers. So now the hens won't use the boxes and lay in the coop. Any suggestions or should I be patient? It's only been 2 days. I have blocked the areas they are using in the coop to try and deter them. Thanks

I haven't used them, but chickens hate change and are very suspicious, especially when it comes to laying their eggs. Normally I would say put some fake eggs in them to show them it is safe. Hopefully they get used to them.

I guess I'll have to try that if they continue. I've seen many videos on the use of roll away and they make it look so easy.

2 days is nothing.
Hard to put bait eggs in a roll away nest.....haha!

I've read of folks who leave some bedding in the new roll away nest and once birds are using them start remove a bit more bedding each day until it's bare and rolling as was the plan.

Sometimes it is just weird where they lay their eggs. I use roll away boxes and most of my leghorns love them unless put golf ball in there. If they see a golf ball they stop using the nest. They will also stop using the nest boxes if they see several of my other leghorns laying in a corner. When enough eggs are visible they all start using the corner. My EE's lay anywhere in the floor that looks good that day except I have 1 EE that decides it's safer to bury the nest she made after she lays her egg and dig it up again the next time. Point is you can never make every chicken happy and they will do their own thing. Just be patient and keep training them.

Thanks for the replies. I'll do the shavings in the roll away and see what happens. Right now I have to corners blocked in the coop where they have decided to lay. Funny thing is, my egg eaters have stopped eating the eggs. Hopefully I can get them back in the boxes before they start again.

Egg eating is often from deficiencies. Keeping out a separate bowl of oyster shells and feeding a higher protein feed than layer, something with 18-20% protein can help to keep them from becoming deficient, and seeking out eggs. I used to have occasional egg eaters back when I used a layer ration. I haven't had any since changing my feed type.

Different old hen here.....but I feed similar to OHLD.

I like to feed a flock raiser/grower/finisher 20% protein crumble full time to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info. I'll try the crumble and continue with oyster shell. They get a fair amount of table/garden scraps as well.

Back
Top Bottom