Roll Out Nest Box Mk4

jthornton

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 30, 2017
Poplar Bluff, MO
My Coop
My Coop
While chatting with @TexasWineGuy I was inspired to build a front exit roll out nest box for my new coop. The design is to go underneath the poop table and be attached to the poop table so if I move the poop table the nest box goes with it. Originally I was going to build a rear discharge roll out nest box similar to my Mk3 that I use now, but putting it under the poop table has several advantages. It takes up zero floor space as there is room for the chickens to go under to get away from being pecked. It's a simpler design than my Mk3 because it's not out in the weather. Just like my Mk3 the false floor slides out for cleaning. This also simplifies the dividing wall construction. And I don't have to worry about chickens flying up and roosting on top of the nest box.

Building the Mk4 turned out to be much simpler with the sides made from 3/4 plywood and the frame is made from 1x2's using pocket screws to fasten it together. A piece of OSB for the false floor, the back and the egg box cover and a 1x6 for the front of the egg box.

I made a couple of changes to the original design after fitting the Mk4 into the poop table frame, I lowered it down 2" and moved it forward 3" both to make it easy for a hen to hop up on the egg box cover and go inside to pay the rent.

Views of the completed frame and sides (the rear 1x2's are in the wrong position, forgot to allow for the thickness of the OSB. Notice there is nothing right up front under the false floor, this is so you can push down on the false floor then slide it out.
RONBv4-01.jpg RONBv4-02.jpg

The complete Mk4 minus the carpet runner on the false floor and some curtains.
RONBv4-04.jpg

This shows the completed egg box cover, the cleats keep it in place. No hinges are needed.
RONBv4-06.jpg

And the Mk4 mounted to the poop table.
RONBv4-07.jpg

I plan on making some smaller versions of my feeder to go on each side of the nest box to allow some distance between hens when they eat.

JT

Last edited:
Nice! It's just one open community box, no dividers? I see the cleats keep the cover in place when it is down, leaving the nest open, but what holds it UP when you want the nest closed at night? There is a lot I like about this and my plastic nest boxes are falling apart so I need good plans!

Nice! It's just one open community box, no dividers? I see the cleats keep the cover in place when it is down, leaving the nest open, but what holds it UP when you want the nest closed at night? There is a lot I like about this and my plastic nest boxes are falling apart so I need good plans!

You could have a magnetic catch to hold it up, being that low I doubt anyone would try and sleep in there... but I've had one that did try and sleep in the Mk4 for some reason and I put a hinged cover on it and closed it for a few evenings and she quit. Yea no dividers at all, it's a community nest box.

I'll make an article for it and the poop table when I'm done putzing with it.

JT

JT,
Is your Mk4 in use yet and are you happy with this design? I’m building a community nest box this weekend and I’m considering this rollout design. Thanks.

JT,
Is your Mk4 in use yet and are you happy with this design? I’m building a community nest box this weekend and I’m considering this rollout design. Thanks.

No and yes. I'm still building the coop so I won't get new chickens until that is done. The Mk3 which is a similar design but roll out the back and more for outdoor use has been in use since December 2017. Wow time flies when you don't have time to stop and watch it.

JT

Back
Top Bottom