Rolled Barley/ Rolled Oats

Mother4Jesus

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 1, 2012
New York
Hello,
I've been feeding my chickens a high protein starter feed and some scratch. they dont' seem to be to crazy about the scratch but I also mill my own wheat and they LOVE my home made bread.
I also take some rolled barley and add that to their feed. Is that ok?

Does anyone have a feed recipe??
My chickens have just started laying and I want to make sure they're getting enough calcium and protein. The feed i'm using is giving them plenty but if I could make something organic , it may be cheaper myself.

Thanks
God Bless,
Laura

I give my chickies rolled oats as a treat they love them. Mine also do not perfer scratch they eat everything but the corn. If you put homemade feed in the search box there are alot of info to be found.
if your chickens are laying you should give them some crushed oyster shells for their calcium needs. I offer it free choice in a container by their food. (I feed layer crumbles)

Hi Mother4Jesus,
there are a few chick and older bird recipes on my blog (look on the right hand side, scrolling down). They're from a 1940s poultry book but I've added notes and suggested variations that I've tried and found useful (e.g. swap kefir for yeast), if you feel like having a look.
best wishes
Erica

Back
Top Bottom