Roller Pigeon

Pigeon Rookie

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2016
Ok. So other that DNA testing a feather, what do you feel is the best way to determine the sex of a Pigeon?
Thank you!!!

Ok. So other that DNA testing a feather, what do you feel is the best way to determine the sex of a Pigeon?
Thank you!!!
Behaviour in a group of other pigeons.

If you see a pigeon cooing, dancing about, and fanning its tail a lot while inflating its chest and bowing to other pigeons... its a male.

Watch your flock of pigeons and when you see them mating you will know which one is the male! Then put a ring of his leg so you can ID him as a male in the future.

Do you have a flock of roller pigeons, or just one or 2?

Single birds and single pairs are hard to tell the sex. As sometimes single female birds will act like males, and same sex pair up birds can act like male and female. In that case let them nest and wait and see what happens. 4 eggs = 2 females, and no eggs = 2 males.

Visual clues are not always accurate. In general a male pigeon of the same breed is larger and more stockier than the female. But I have know female pigeons be bigger than males, and also show male like behaviour if they have aggressive personalities.

Last edited:
Behaviour in a group of other pigeons.

If you see a pigeon cooing, dancing about, and fanning its tail a lot while inflating its chest and bowing to other pigeons... its a male.

Watch your flock of pigeons and when you see them mating you will know which one is the male!  Then put a ring of his leg so you can ID him as a male in the future.

Do you have a flock of roller pigeons, or just one or 2?

Single birds and single pairs are hard to tell the sex.  As sometimes single female birds will act like males, and same sex pair up birds can act like male and female.  In that case let them nest and wait and see what happens.  4 eggs = 2 females, and no eggs = 2 males.

Visual clues are not always accurate. In general a male pigeon of the same breed is larger and more stockier than the female.  But I have know female pigeons be bigger than males, and also show male like behaviour if they have aggressive personalities.

I only have 2 rollers at the moment. I have caught on the dark grey with a little white coo bob it's head then poke the other. Once the other pigeon leaves he stops. It seems to only happen when the other white pigeon gets close to it.

I only have 2 rollers at the moment. I have caught on the dark grey with a little white coo bob it's head then poke the other. Once the other pigeon leaves he stops. It seems to only happen when the other white pigeon gets close to it.

They have been together for over a month and a half and no eggs.... Seems like they aren't interested in each other much other than when the white pigeon gets close to the other. Then like mentioned before, the grey one starts to bob it's head and makes a cooing sound. Since the other pigeon doesn't respond to it, it pokes it's neck which makes them other pigeon leave or stay on the floor and not the perch...

The best way to determine the sex of a pigeon is to ask another pigeon.
In a perfect world the pigeon on the right is usually more iridescent and larger than the ♀ pigeon on the left.

That being said no matter which method you choose to sex a pigeon mistakes are sometimes made. I usually can tell the gender of a pigeon just by looking at it (but I have been know to make mistakes too.)

On that note:
If you place your pigeon in the company of a know gender pigeon one can usually tell the gender of the pigeon in question by the reaction taken by the know gender.

(Too many references to gender in tha sentence but I think you can follow).

Check out the link the pigeon bowing and circling is the bird walking is ♀:

The best way to determine the sex of a pigeon is to ask another pigeon. In a perfect world the pigeon on the right is usually more iridescent and larger than the ♀ pigeon on the left. That being said no matter which method you choose to sex a pigeon mistakes are sometimes made. I usually can tell the gender of a pigeon just by looking at it (but I have been know to make mistakes too.) On that note: If you place your pigeon in the company of a know gender pigeon one can usually tell the gender of the pigeon in question by the reaction taken by the know gender. (Too many references to gender in tha sentence but I think you can follow). Check out the link the pigeon bowing and circling is the bird walking is ♀:
Thanks for the reply. The video you recommended shows what my grey pigeon does to the white one when the white one lands on its perch. Then if the white just stands there, it will poke it. Then the white pigeon leaves and it continues doing its dance while having a puffed up neck and doing circles. Then it's stops and all is quiet. Do females lay eggs even if there is no male around??

Cool video. None of that is going on though. I think I may have two males...?
I tried to inspect the bones on its underside to see how far apart or together they are. One of them has them almost touching, the other apart by the width of the tip of my pinky finger 1/2".
Other than that
1f914.png
Who knows....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom