Rolling Feed bunk or feed cart

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by oldcluck, Dec 21, 2013.

1. oldcluck

oldcluck Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    I hope this is the right place to post this. I have been looking for a long time for info or plans on constructing a rolling feed bunk. Here is the story. I broke my hip last may and have been looking for a way to unload my feed without lifting on the bags which i couldn't do. I wanted a cart that was slightly less height then the pickup tailgate so i could slide the bags over to the tailgate, open them and pour the feed into the cart. my tailgate measured out to be 30" off the ground. So i built a box from plywood that is 4 feet long, 2ft high and 15" wide. i put a 2x4 on the bottom and mounted roller wheels to that. The box is devided into 3 compartments. When i have feed to unload i can simply wheel the cart over to the truck. pour the feed from the tailgate into the cart and then wheel the cart to a place where i can keep it for using the feed. It has a 2 lids. I built it out of leftover scraps of plywood and the whole thing cost less than $30 Here are some pics.I hope someone else might be able to use my idea.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    These wheels are from home depot on one end i used those that swiviled and were lockable. on the other end the wheels are fixed. The cat is my rodent control officer.
    [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Excellent idea! Glad it worked out for you!

3. oldcluck

oldcluck Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Thanks!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I have to use a hand truck with large pneumatic tires to roll over the grass between the driveway and the coop.

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    @ Aart:

Me too along with snowshoes and toboggan for me in the winter months.

6. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    awesome idea, oldcluck !! i broke my hip also last winter and its not the same. no balance at all. i love your idea. i have a mini van and i have a time of moving that stuff. but to be able to pour it straight from the van to its permanent location did not occur to me. lol i do have a gravel drive so i will have to look for some good wheels for it but Thank you !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by