1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roman goose questions...

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Goose finatic, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Goose finatic

Goose finatic Just Hatched

Jan 30, 2017
    what are the odds of a wild goose mating with a domestic goose cause more than once there has been one goose landing in my yard every other day[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Wild geese can mate with domestic geese, yes. It happens often if a domestic is dumped at a pond or, in my case, if a breeder needs to offload crosses and doesn't tell you...

Anyway, this is my hybrid, a buff American goose/Canada goose cross, sold to me as a pure buff American goose as a juvenile but as she grew it became apparent that was not the case. She has full flying abilities and I actually did have her sister, but she she flew off one day and best I can figure is that she joined up with a Canada goose flock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can tell that they're crosses though, you won't mistake them for a purebred. For instance, mine has cheek patches and the fine build of a Canada goose while having mostly the coloration of an American buff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by