Roman Tufted geese

Barbford

Hatching
Jul 30, 2020
Hello-
I have 5 Roman Tufted Geese. Is there a way you can tell if they are male or female? I noticed that some have a deeper "honk" and others have a higher pitched voice.

Attachments

• 20200729_180747.jpg
    20200729_180747.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 11
Hello-
I have 5 Roman Tufted Geese. Is there a way you can tell if they are male or female? I noticed that some have a deeper "honk" and others have a higher pitched voice.
I have never had this breed of geese, but was curious so I did a little research. I found nothing about the pitch of the honk. I do know that males/ganders are larger and broader in appearance. There was also mention of vent sexing. This, I know, is easier said than done.

Vent Sexing Geese
With gloves on (they'll probably poop), use your fingers to spread the vent apart while pushing down. If the goose is a male the penis should either pop out or be visible (corkscrew shape). If the goose is a female she will not have a penis, obviously.

The most accurate method I know of is DNA testing which is very accurate and not horribly expensive. About $25 per bird. You will find more on this online.

Nichols school. That helps. Hmmm. I think I'll just use the wait and see approach. I sure cant see myself trying to hold them down to check. Lol

Thank you for your help!

Hi! I do have this breed :)

You can tell from behavior, with geese. Also a little bit by appearance. A gander tends to walk more upright and proud, with his beak stuck up in the air. He will also put himself between females and anything new or that he perceives as a possible threat.

Females walk more with their heads and necks tucked down.

When they get old enough, there are some slight visual differences too. A goose's undercarriage hangs lower than a gander's.

Back
Top Bottom