Roo and Hens

Thank you. I don't agree with that statement in the article. You may have no problems with fewer hens and you may have problems with more. You are dealing with living animals, you don't get guarantees as far as behaviors.
Right, understood. Thank you. I don't want to get rid of him but the hens are most important to me. I know that sounds awful but it is the truth. I am new at this. This is my first flock so I am still learning. I just want my girls to be happy and healthy and my roo too.

Thanks for your concern about my coop. The box it came in said it could house up to 6 hens.
Never go by manufacturer claims. If it's a prefab, 99% of time they overestimate how many birds can safely live in a coop.

Since this is your first time with chickens I would rehome the roo and not add new chickens at this time (integration requires much more space than the usual minimum recommendation of 4 sq ft coop, 10 sq ft run per bird). In the future, if you decide you want to add more birds and can upsize the set up, plan on adding at least 2, as solo integrations are more difficult. The benefit in spacing out additions to your flock is it'll provide you with more consistent egg production, as hens peak in laying at around 2 years and then will gradually start declining.

Since this is your first time with chickens I would rehome the roo and not add new chickens at this time (integration requires much more space than the usual minimum recommendation of 4 sq ft coop, 10 sq ft run per bird). In the future, if you decide you want to add more birds and can upsize the set up, plan on adding at least 2, as solo integrations are more difficult. The benefit in spacing out additions to your flock is it'll provide you with more consistent egg production, as hens peak in laying at around 2 years and then will gradually start declining.

I agree with this 100%.

And I congratulate you on being wise enough to know to not max out your setup and to get the extra pen.

Never go by manufacturer claims. If it's a prefab, 99% of time they overestimate how many birds can safely live in a coop.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom