Roo and new girls, need advice

bburn

Songster
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Delaware, Arkansas
Just need comformation that I am going about this the right way....

I have a rooster I removed from the main flock because of fighting. He was getting beat up by the alpha roo because he was trying to breed the hens. I know, I have had a long hard row getting all the roosters rehomed. But this BR roo is pretty and I want to keep him. (plus, he was DGD's pick from the beginning)

So, we built a new run on the back side of the coop and will build on to the coop when my husband gets back. In the meantime I have temp housing for the Lone Rooster set up. I am getting him two or three girls of his own this week. His same age and breed.

I will need to quarantine I know, so I thought I would put the Lone Rooster in his new digs and put the new girls in the tractor where the rooster has been staying. Will keep them in there a couple of weeks letting the Lone Rooster out to hang around the tractor for a while every evening. So they can see each other but not have contact. While waiting long enough to let them be together I am going to put a temp fence in the new run with temp housing for the new girls. Once time has passed I will move them from the tractor to the devided off section for a few days.....then remove the fence.

I know he has been lonely being by himself. They all grew up together. But I did not want him beat up daily and now I want to do this part right so they all have the best chance. More girls? Enough? Could easily have 6 in there but am lucky to have found the two or three this lady is going to let me buy. She is a breeder locally and I have visited with her several time and she finally told me to call this week so she would have time to see who she would let go.

This roo is not mean however I do think some time out of the tractor in the new pen is called for first. However, I could put the new girls in the new run first and let them get used to it. I just thought Lone Rooster needed the time first.

I know they are just chickens. However, the difference it made in the flock to remove LR was amazing. All the girls started laying, the BO roo stepped up and is gentle with them and is doing his job taking care of them. Peace in the flock. I want the best chance for the second flock. The Lone Roo is equally gentle so I am hoping for the best for him too.

I will have to do this again for the cochin roo who does not even have roo behaviors yet at all....and they are all the same age....24 weeks. I have a plan for him (last roo) also that I am starting on in case fighting breaks out. There is enough room for him a section also. Then I will get him girls to match him.

I appreciate any advice/input that you can give me.

I can't think of any benefit whether you keep the new hens where the rooster was or in a new area during quarantine. I think either will work. Remember that there is a risk your flock has a disease or parasites that they have built up an immunity to that they may give to the new chickens as well as a risk the new chickens will infect your existing flock. Cocci is a real good example of that, but there are others. If you find anything during quarantine, it could easily be that they picked up something from being on the ground your flock was on or directly from your flock. If you find something, get back with the breeder so hopefully you can determine where the infection came from. A good breeder would want to know.

Remember quarantine means they do not live on the same ground or breathe the same air. Some diseases are passed on through the droppings or drinking from the same water, but some are passed on by the air. In a true quarantine, none of the chickens will be able to get that close to the new chickens. If they are on the ground that your existing flock was on, the new ones can pick up an infection from that.

When introducing a new rooster to a flock of only hens, I don't think you need to worry too much about letting them get to know each other first. If the rooster is masture enough (I've had some mature enough at 15 weeks and some that were not mature enough a lot older) he will take over the flock and make it his own by mating the hens. There may a few small squabbles but usually nothing of consequence. If the rooster is not mature enough, the hens will put him in his place, whether there has been an introductory period or not. I think your biggest risk in this integration is that the hens will unmercifully pick on an immature rooster, but the only thing that can cure that is for him to grow up. I don't think the risk of him getting hurt in all this is all that high. If I were adding a rooster to a flock of hens only, I'd just put them together and observe. It may go very smoothly.

Ridgerunner...thanks. I have never brought in chickens to my flock.

I can put the chicken tractor in a different location easily so that is what I will do. It is in the garden now but I will move it. I can't do much about the air but I can do something about the location of the tractor.

I will know more about what I want to to also when I go down to visit this woman at her place. She is very forthcoming and would be a great asset as a friend to help me learn more.

The last thing I want is to introduce something into my current flock, who have been very healthy so far, or into the new group. Am just glad my husband is out of town for this new venture! I worked for a major pork producer for many years and understand biosecurity and the need for it. My neighbor who lives over the hill a little bit is related to my husband....I won't let him or his wife go in my pens. He has no regard for the health of his flock.

I am looking forward to this addition and just wanted it to go smoothly and safely.

Thank you so much for your input.
(oh, I do know that his brother who I rehomed has done quite well in his new flock...they were very simple country folks, parents of a friend of mine who needed a rooster....he went in and settled nicely with his girls and they love him....so hopes are that this one can do as well)

I would add that you should make sure the new girls you are getting are all familiar with each other before you introduce the roo to them. I've been told that if they don't have their pecking order sorted out it won't go smoothly, and you run the chance of the roo only "cottoning onto" one and neglecting the others.

Thankfully, the girls are all together now....plus, they will have time together during the quarintine period.

You know, it is just kind of scary....biosecurity wise first and then you worry about the little darlin's getting along....all this for a rooster!!

On top of that I have the third one to start working on a small pen for...the cochin that has no roo behaviors at all yet....same age....am just thinking either he simply does not care for the girls or he really knows his place. Not a crow from him...no chest bumping...no neck feather ruffling....he simply harms none. What a sweetie....just wish he would lay an egg!

Thanks for the reply.....
smile.png
smile.png

Depending upon the nature of the rooster, 3 hens may not be enough. A very large rooster breeding three hens may very well wear off their back feathers. Overbreeding by large, heavy roosters can cause serious damage to hens' backs because of sharp toenails and spurs. Keep an eye on your hens' backs and sides. These are the areas slashes caused by rooster spurs and toenails generally occur.

Three the age that I am looking for is about all I can find. I am going to try and get this lady to sell me a few more even if they are not the same breed.

My other rooster, thankfully, has really been gentle. I am watching his girls very closely and getting the sewing machine tuned up just in case I need to make some aprons. At the first sign of feather loss I will do something.

Just moved the Lone Rooster to his new digs tonight. He is loving having more room and fresh grass! Hopefully by the weekend I will be able to bring the new girls home.

I appreciate the input.....am listening carefully to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom