Roo? And what type of chickens do I have?

I think I'm seeing two males.

The one with white is Mille Fleur color, and the breed is probably Old English Game Bantam. (The Mille Fleur color is also found in other breeds, like d'Uccles who have feathered feet, but obviously yours does not have feathered feet.)

The red one is probably an Old English Game bantam too, but I'm not sure what to call that color-- that breed comes in so many colors I just haven't learned them all.

Attachments

• 20211007_155616.jpg
    20211007_155616.jpg
    693.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211007_155934.jpg
    20211007_155934.jpg
    650.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211007_155555.jpg
    20211007_155555.jpg
    874.5 KB · Views: 2
I think I'm seeing two males.

The one with white is Mille Fleur color, and the breed is probably Old English Game Bantam. (The Mille Fleur color is also found in other breeds, like d'Uccles who have feathered feet, but obviously yours does not have feathered feet.)

The red one is probably an Old English Game bantam too, but I'm not sure what to call that color-- that breed comes in so many colors I just haven't learned them all.
Thank you!!

Oh no.. Could I keep two roosters with my 10 hens? The hens are laying age now and they've seen the chicks, but I haven't moved them in together yet. Or is it typically just one rooster per flock?
It might work fine, or it might not.

The males might fight with each other, or they might mate with the females so often the females get bald patches on their backs.

Males fighting is only a problem if one gets injured, or if one is always hiding in a corner and cannot come out to eat & drink. (A bleeding comb does not really count as an injury to me-- it bleeds heavily but heals quickly, much like a human tongue.)

Bald patches on the hen's backs do not seem to bother the hens very much, and you can buy or make "aprons" to protect their backs until they next molt & regrow their feathers. But if you see bald backs, you should probably reduce the number of roosters in the pen.

If you like both cockerels, I would keep them both for now and see how they do. If you start seeing problems, then remove one or both males. "Remove" can mean putting them in a different pen, rehoming to someone else, butchering them to eat, or any other method that works for you.

I thought in the first photos that they looked like bantams (small chickens), but in the later photos I'm not so sure. What breed are the hens, and are these roosters similar to the hens in size or much smaller?

Back
Top Bottom