Roo behavior and hens laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WhisperingWinds, Sep 16, 2012.

1. WhisperingWinds

WhisperingWinds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Morganton, NC
    Ok, I have a roo that was born the 1st of April, so he is just over 5 months old.

I bought two hens from a guy who did not know exactly how old they were or if they were laying or not. He had a fenced area with about 10-15 hens, he said they were all born this year, some were laying already but he did not know which ones, he just knew he was getting a few eggs a day.

My two sons each picked a hen.

Candie and Sally they named them.

(hens are just back yard mixes, Sally is a tad bigger than Candie)

Fred, our Roo was excited to see them... LOL but from the beginning he payed way more attention to Candie.
    15 days after the girls moved in with us, Candie started laying eggs,

for the next two weeks, Fred almost ignored Sally and paid much attention to Candie.

Now for the past two weeks, Fred has paid them equal amount of attention. He is jumping on them both often! lol

Does this mean Sally should start laying soon or should she have already, since he has been jumping on her for around 2 weeks...
    or does his affections towards the girls play any effect on them laying eggs or not?

Thanks,
    Stacey

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Hen does NOT need a rooster to lay eggs, only to fertilized the eggs. You say you are not sure how old the hens are some varies from 6 months to 9 month to lay their first eggs, some may be stressed and may take a while to have eggs. or she may not lay eggs is she older hen.

3. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    I never thought it mattered, but maybe it does...idk. they usually 'squat' ocasionally just before they start laying

4. WhisperingWinds

WhisperingWinds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Morganton, NC
    Yes, I understand that a hen does not "need" a roo, I was more wondering that is he knew something we did not? ;-)

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    There is a school of thought that thinks the rooster know which hen is getting ready to lay. Of course the young hormone drive cockerels may not be listening to that small voice.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by