?? Roo bigger comb/waddle = bigger... um... you know...

Chickiee

Songster
7 Years
Feb 13, 2012
Jackson, WI (Southeast WI)
Good Morning Everyone!
I have 2 young Barred Rock roo's 4 months old. The bigger one started crowing so we figured, at the time, that the much smaller one was a female. We named the big one Rocky and the small one Pebbles. Then, Pebbles started crowing. Rocky is still quite big. Pebbles is small... EXCEPT his comb and waddle are HUGE. Every time you look at him it's like "Wow, that's a huge waddle/comb." Beautiful but seriously just obnoxiously huge... almost too big for his body. If he is going to end up being a big boy then he'll be absolutely beautiful. Do they "grow into" their comb like puppy feet? He's also by far the dominate. Rocky is quite submissive to Pebbles and almost plays a "wingman" role. Rocky eats grass and bugs with the females while Pebbles is the watchful one.

I introduced the chicks (the 2 roo's and a mix of females) to the existing 5 adult hens gently. Pebbles got into a fight with one of our adult Buff Orpington hens and just wouldn't back down. Would. Not. Back. Down. I obviously separated them a few times and thought they would work it out but no. He kept grabbing her waddle (because he's so short) and she would grab his comb, pull him to the ground, and step/sit on him (pretty smart). Anyway, she was fine. His comb and face were a bloody mess and after a couple nights of isolating the roo's for their safety and then the Buff Orpington to mix up the hierarchy, everything is now good and the entire flock is living harmoniously.

Ok, so here's the question... Pebbles is already mating with our adult Olive Egger daily (or at least practicing). I actually think this is a bit comical since the Olive Egger is about the size of the chicks and not nearly as plump as the Buff Orpingtons, haha. Does Pebble's larger comb and waddle = more dominance, more manliness, more mating, larger body size? Is there a correlation to his "guard dog" attitude (of which he takes his job VERY seriously) to his enlarged "features"?

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom