Roo dilemma.

Dona Worry

Crowing
Jul 5, 2018
Vermont
So I have a cockerel I am just not fond of. He isn't bad, has done nothing wrong per se, I just don't like him much. He is a jerk to the pullets, (but not unusually so) looks like he is sizing me up for a sneak attack every time I go out (but hasn't actually done anything yet) and is just generally rude and a little pushy.
BUT
He is really handsome, potentially will sire green or olive eggers, ( I would LOVE to hatch out my own chicks!!) and at 6 months old. . . He may grow out of his bratty behavior.
I could easily cull him, it's not like I don't know people who would love some free chicken dinner, but I haven't seen another cockerel with his gorgeous plumage, and man, I bet he would cross beautifully on my wyandottes or Susan. Also, he seriously has the best crow. It is like a textbook cock-o-doodle-do. Not annoying at all!
I guess it boils down to:
Keep mildly annoying, somewhat untrustworthy cockerel for the potential for some gorgeous EE hens, or cull him? I would never keep a cockerel out of him, obviously.
20181020_124418.jpg
20180922_123044.jpg
20180909_191240.jpg
20180909_191214.jpg
20180909_191233.jpg

20181025_131326.jpg

The red white and blue boy is the one in question. Nardole isn't going anywhere!

Last edited:
Agree, he's 6 months old they're all a little shifty at that age or at least appear to be. Most of his actions are hormonal stupidity right now even down to the way he looks at you. :)
It's also possible that I am being a little unfair to him-- Nardole is such a perfect golden boy, and that's who he gets compared to on a daily basis! :oops:
But Nardole makes just about ANY other cockerel look bad, because he is unrealistically perfect, and that isn't Rory's fault! I'll try to cut him some more slack.

Yeah, I get what you're saying there. Just be fair to little Rory, he's trying.;)
It's also possible that I am being a little unfair to him-- Nardole is such a perfect golden boy, and that's who he gets compared to on a daily basis! :oops:
But Nardole makes just about ANY other cockerel look bad, because he is unrealistically perfect, and that isn't Rory's fault! I'll try to cut him some more slack.

Yeah, I get what you're saying there. Just be fair to little Rory, he's trying.;)
Yeah, I've had some really awful roos before on the farm-- Ones that would literally tear apart hens, attack anything that moved (including me!) and fought each other bloody. None of them ever lasted long, but particularly the human aggressive ones, as my mother is capable of literally snapping a neck with her bare hands if she witnesses a rooster attack one of her kids! :lau
So, I know a bad roo and Rory isn't that-- I just don't like this hormonal brat hanging around my house giving me the stink eye!

All cockerels are aggravating at this stage, he will definitely get over it in a few months. Especially when it comes to mating the hens. Five to six months is the stage cockerels are generally very active. (Trying to get respect from the rest of the flock). I've had and seen cockerels with the same temperament as you just described. It all dies down within a few months (sometimes longer) and they end up being very laidback.

I generally will pen up bad acting young roosters at that age. Some stayed penned until the following summer. Some go in and out. Most grow out of the behaviors, especially if they aren't allowed to continue them until they become a habit to the rooster. I also recommend using a fishing net to catch him for penning. It can help him learn he needs to stay away from you, and behave otherwise he gets scooped up and penned.

Back
Top Bottom