Roo doing the Egg song?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rin, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Is there any particular reason why my rooster would be singing the egg song instead of my hens? One of my D'uccle hens is starting to lay and I can hear the egg song loud and clear from inside my house and rush out there to find it's him making the racket. He'll even go inside and sit in one of the nest boxes while cooing contentedly. Now. I KNOW he's a rooster, does his crowing and his dancing and his mounting.

No egg so I went back inside and about an hour later I hear egg singing again but even louder and far more exaggerated - more skeptical so I look out the window to see it is indeed him pacing up and down the chicken run singing the egg song delightedly - only this time an itty bitty little peach-coloured egg was nestled in the doorway of the coop where I could see.

The hen that laid it didn't make a peep as only he did the egg song. What's up with him? Could he be stressing them out with that or is he just rooting his ladies on?

2. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Mine let's the world know that his girls are about their business.

Kind of like, passing out cigars.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Our OEGB roo sings the egg song when he knows one of his girls are going to lay an egg. I have another roo that will 'help' the hens find a spot to lay when they are out free ranging. He coos to them and calls them over to a spot between the flower pots. He will lay down face to face between the pots with his hen and coo to her until she lays her egg. If she decides she doesn't like that spot he helps her find another one. Its pretty funny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by