1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo down, hypothermia or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by growinupinfl, Nov 19, 2011.

1. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    My Wheaten Roo who is about 7 months old was found today under the hanging feeder wet, cold and barely responsive. We brought him in and I had mites crawling all over me in short order. UGH... So we put him in some warm water treated him with Adams flea and lice dip. We brought his temp back up killed some of the mites. I wrapped him up with warm towels and put warm packs around him gave him luke warm water with some rooster booster in it. He became more and more responsive, he even started cooing some. After he dried off we applied Sevin dust to him. He woke up ate a little bit ate some scrabbled eggs, then fell right back asleep. He is now responding to stimuli, touch and sound. Even sitting right, and now instead of just sleeping falling over, he is sitting right and tucked his head under his wing.

So what do ya'll think could have caused him to become so weak he didn't move out of the rain and go hypothermic like that? Do you think he could make a full recovery? Should I give him some antibiotics as a preemptive strike just encase there is some internal infection causing him to fall become so weak, or could it have been the massive mite infection. I know that fleas can do that to mammals.

We did go treat all of the chickens this evening, and tomorrow we will clean out the coop and treat it. Any other suggestions?

2. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    You already found the answer...............mites. They are a blood sucking parasite. If they go untreated for long enough, the birds can weaken and die.

3. Hens & Hounds

Hens & Hounds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    NJ
    x2

Quote:

4. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Well do you think me treating the mites, building him up with some protein, rooster booster and possibly some meat he will recover and be ok? How long should it take for him to rebuild his blood supply, is there anything else I should look for?

5. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    Do a search on mites and you can find many threads about treatment.

You need to treat all the birds and the coop. If one bird is that badly infested, they surely all have them.

Hope he does better soon.

6. Zinnia-Hen

Zinnia-Hen Live & Let Live

Jan 29, 2011
    Aha. It turns out my silkie pullet is having the same problem...

7. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Just make sure you re-treat in 10 days. To kill the hatchlings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by