Roo getting hen pecked

Mom24moores

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2016
Ohio
Hello everyone. I am new to the chicken world and have some behavior questions. We have 5 white silkie bantams. They are only about 4 months old. One we are sure is a rooster and one we are pretty sure is a hen.... the others we are assuming are hens, due to size and looks, but I have been told you really can't tell with silkies until they are older. The hen we call Dopey. She had an issue with crookneck when a chick, but we nursed her back to health. Although she seems healthy, she has always seemed a little "off". Surprisingly, we think she has become the top hen. She always seems to be on guard, last one in the coop at night and first one out in the morning. Very vocal - seems to be always telling everyone what to do. Lately, her and our roo seem to be getting into a lot of fights. Nothing major yet, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. How much of this is normal? Is it just part of working out the pecking order? When should I worry? and is there anything I can do to stop it from getting out of hand?

I would say you have a sneaky rooster on your hands. As you know they are very hard to sex usually and I think your hen is exhibiting young(good) rooster signs. Pics will help with this. If it is a hen I would be surprised, to say the least.

As long as the fights are not bloody or exhaustive to the combatants, I personally would not worry too much.
Good luck

This is our roo Schuster

And these are of Dopey

The bunch of them....some may be roos but Schuster is just so much bigger than the rest if them. You can see him and Dopey in the back.

Ok well the tables have turned. Poor Dopey! Schuster will not leave her alone! Keeps trying to mate with her. She has just been hiding in the corner for the last 2 days! Any advise? I tried to talk with him about wooing her, but he just wants to get down to business! Has no interest in any of the others. Hopefully she's not the only hen! Any advise is appreciated!!!

Back
Top Bottom