Roo just nailed me! Arghh Advise?

skillswife

Songster
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
SW Montana
Well I have been hoping it wouldn't come to this but I was out in the coop making sure my broody was back on her nest after her morning excursion, turned my back to the others and smack right on my heal this little bantam roo nailed me. I turned and yelled and he backed off. I was hoping to find a home for a couple of my roos but he may be in the cooker instead. Are bantam roo's even worth eating? I currently have 5 roos for about 30 hens. The RIR is going to his new home in the next couple weeks, and that leaves 3 mottled bantam cochin roos, and a silkie roo (who has shown no interest in crowing, or the ladies, maybe he isn't a he). Anyhow any suggestions or should he go to the cooker. I know that the roo's protect their girls but I have kids and I don't want to be afraid to turn my back to him in the coop.

You could try picking him up and carry him around for about 20 minutes 3 times a day, that changed the my young roosters out look on life
D.gif

I put up with that sort of behavior for a while but when he came at my 2 year old grandaughter,, Well lets just say that he brought a beak to a gun fight

Quote:
This is the worst way to correct the problem and leads to more of the same behavior, this act is the main reason they become aggressive in the first place.

I had a gorgeous blue turken roo that I raised from a chick. He started dancing and challenging me but I did not take it seriously.. On day I went across backyard barefooted to deliver watermelon rinds to them and he WAP hit me from behind. I got a deep spur into my heel. I had a tetanus so no worry but it hurt like crazy! I took him to next auction and wrote on cage he was aggressive. I even told the auctioneer that. Some people like a mean roo to guard their free range flock. Not me. I cannot risk them hurting family or company.. They rarely can be rehabilitated after signs of aggression. And I did not want to take the time to try. Some chicken's are "souper chickens"! Make great soup!

Las year my Crested Polish hen would challenge me, so I started taking a stick in the run with me.... she would leave me alone after I shooed her away..

Our young rooster bit my daughter (11 years old) last week. She was SO mad she chased him around the yard screaming at him! LOL He just so happened to run into a pen that we have, and she shut him in there. I felt bad she got bit, but it was SO funny the way she reacted. He has never even gave her the stink eye since! LOL From what I have read, if you assert dominance over them, they sometimes back off and stop attacking. Now if he runs up to her she just raises her arms and growls! She can still catch him once in a while and hold him (they free range), so I think it is going to be ok.

Thanks everyone for the advise. We have left them alone, ignored them so to speak as soon as we found out they were roos. So far there is only one that is challenging me but I don't need anyone else getting ideas. I am just nervous about butchering for the first time. I have taken plenty of wild game so I know how to deal with the butchering of large game but not so much chickens. But I have had adds for free roosters here and nobody want them. I just don't want the kids getting scared to go take care of the chickens, or me for that matter. Looks like we will be butchering soon though.

This is one of the meanest roo's I have ever seen in my life. But he guards the girls and we just cant seem to get rid of him. His name is Sean and was hand fed by my grandchildren. When it came time for the girls to be bred he took a turn for the worse. I know how you feel about them attacking. Its really sad when you have to carry a hoe with you to get out the back door to go feed everyone. He even chases the UPS man and the mail lady. I know he should be a pot of dumplings but when we were attacked last week by a weasle or something the girls were kept safe. Thats why he dosent have tail feathers now. Unfortunately it did get our babies, he couldnt get to them they were in a "safe" tractor. We were only able to save 4 of them. Now they are his and he protects them just like his girls. So what do you do? Carry a hoe!
96100_peafowl_and_chickens_080711_152.jpg

Hes the dominecker in this picture.

Back
Top Bottom