Roo limping for 2 weeks, suddenly worse

ok, thanks, I will. For how long? Til he stops limping? I'm afraid to put him out to free range but he really has a fit without the other girls and the girls are the meanest towards the chicks so I have been putting them out. Those chicks grow fast ya know and we are running out of space.

No, I'm not taking him down. He is already down when I go out in the morning and its on the front side and can't get to it or him. The height of the coop where those front roosts are is almost 6'. We have moved that front roost down to that branch's height (below it). He jumps onto the roost that the ladder is attached too, then hops up to the front one. The pop door is 12" I think, so, between 18 and 24"???

Since this pic, I have cut that space in half, front to back, to allow for the chicks. there is hardware cloth that runs from almost the edge of the side window diagonally to the back corner so the hens can still get to the nest boxes and the ladder is on the front side . but he nor the hens use it. so I cant get to the front to get him because the chicken wire is from top to bottom, stapled in until the chicks get a bit bigger and quit getting picked on. .... and we get the 2nd coop built :)

Until he stops limping completely then you can stop.Nice coop!

I had a rooster and 2 hens doing the same thing. I lowered my roosts form 32" down to 18" and put more pine shavings on the floor to make it softer for them to land on. Within a couple days, they were walking normal again. Maybe something like a cactus needle poked his foot and walking on his toes, to me, shows it could have poked his pad and left a sore on the inside of his foot. Just a thought.

I had a rooster and 2 hens doing the same thing. I lowered my roosts form 32" down to 18" and put more pine shavings on the floor to make it softer for them to land on. Within a couple days, they were walking normal again. Maybe something like a cactus needle poked his foot and walking on his toes, to me, shows it could have poked his pad and left a sore on the inside of his foot. Just a thought.

That is what i hope but watching on the roost im not sure. But it eould explain why it got worse when i put him back out to free range afyer getting better. but i will try those suggestions, thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom