Roo mating with a non-layer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jferlisi, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So my roo (carmel) has mounted one of my leghorns twice now. She is not laying and her comb and wattles are still pink. Is this a sign that she will be laying soon or what? Also when he does this i yell at him to stop and he pops right off just a fyi.

2. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    From what I read on here, the roos will usually start mating the girst about two week before they start to lay. Interestingly enough, I have just seen this to be true with my own flock, but it was eleven days [​IMG] I have one more pullet getting close, but at present the head rooster still chases her away. Once I seem him mount her, I'll start the countdown again. [​IMG]

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I agree with T.C. but I've also had teenage roos try to mate with pullets that are still a month or more away from laying--of course the randy teenagers try to mate with anything, including shoes, grass clumps, and the odds and ends of things that collect in the barn.... [​IMG]

If the roo doing the mating is mature I'd say she's likely close, if he's a youngster too it could still be awhile.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If he mounts her, and she's actually squatting in submission to it, then yes, your pullet is ready to lay. If he's just chasing her down and eventually "tackling" her, no, it means nothing except that you have, well, a typical cockerel. [​IMG]

My Polish boys try and mate with the girls all the time, but they're no where near laying, as they're going through a very slow molt.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yes but--I once had a rooster that would mate with anything that wasn't moving so some of them are more hormone driven than others. The real clue is if the pullet/hen holds still for it, then she's getting ready.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  6. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Roos will try to mate. I agree with the others the tell tale sign is if the pullet is squatting for the roo. If she is then it is gonna be omlets before long.

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    My poor cochin roo is a bit, um, frustrated right now that none of his harem are laying or squatting. Whenever I let them out to free range, rather than hanging out with his harem, he hovers by the layer run, clucking at the hybrids.

Those hens are in with an EE cockerel who certainly is doing his job of fertilizing!

8. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Thanks for all the info everyone. Ya she would lay down for him, and today when i when out there she was in a nest so i thought she was getting close but when i went out a hour later she had laid a little age.

9. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    So what about my roo who chased down my 3 yr old hen that hasn't laid an egg in at least 6 months? She ran, but finally gave in & just laid there...
    He has his choice of 5 layers & that will be up to eight in the next few months, so what's with him going after the granny of the bunch?

10. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hilf? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by