Roo molting in the cold autumn

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoveMyPeeps, Oct 3, 2009.

1. LoveMyPeeps

LoveMyPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have a Production Red rooster who is right around a year and a half old and I noticed today that he is molting badly. It's October in Northern NY and getting quite cold. Doesn't it seem odd that he would molt now that it is colder and he won't have the feathers to protect him? Is this normal?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Very normal! Chickens are like cats that way, they do things when they want to and not one moment sooner!

3. LoveMyPeeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Thanks so much! This big guy is my baby, so I'll sleep better tonight knowing that everything is par.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Stupid ain`t it? Every year I`m amazed at how many posts I see with fowl moulting in the dead of winter. Don`t worry, they always make it through.......Pop

5. LoveMyPeeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Thanks Lollipop- I have to admit, I was worried! And then couldn't find any info on it on the internet. Thanks Backyard forum!

6. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    It's October And All Of My Hens And Rooster And Ducks Are Molting Too..........if A Stranger Caught Sight Of My Coop And Duck House, They Would Swear There Was A Pile Of Dead Birds Under All The Feathers....lol
    Yes, It's Completely Normal....my Birds Molt Twice A Year...mY Ducks Molt Every Month It Seems Like...not ReallY But They Shed Alot !!!!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  7. LoveMyPeeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Upstate NY
    That's funny, my husband took one look at the roo, one look at the feathers all over the coop and said, "What attacked him??" LOL. So glad to hear this is the norm!!

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I think Ive got one molting too. this my first time w/ chickens and I just don't get it. do they molt and grow new feathers at the same time?

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes, some do. I have one hen that molted so quick it was hard to even notice. That's great and a good trait because the faster they molt, they quicker they get back to laying.
    I have a few others that are nearly bald. They feel like porcupines.

10. LoveMyPeeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My roo looks TERRIBLE!! And it happened so quick we were afraid something had happened to him! Poor guy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by