roo or hen: 4 week old hatchery RIR/production red

kategreen

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2017
hi!
i'm not exactly new here, having lurked for a long time, learning a whole lot from BYC on the whole and also enjoying this forum as a way to learn about sexing and breeds.

i have a RIR who has set up alarm bells from the start, quick comb development and general cockerel behavior: protection, bossy behavior. his legs are thicker than the others. i noticed with some of the other RIRs from the southern states i got him from also had early combs, so i tried not to think about it too much. however, he's sorta old enough for me to ask here (finally!).

thoughts?

welcome-byc.gif
:)

Pretty sure that's a cockerel. My RIR cockerels normally have bigger combs than that at 4 weeks old but from your description of his temperament etc I'm thinking cockerel.
Cockerels often have much thicker legs at an early age, too (like you said).

-Jet

Last edited:
i'll just pin my hopes on your thought that his comb is smaller than it should be for a cockerel! there's still hope.
big_smile.png

and i'd say his bossy behavior has lessened a good bit, though i did see him jump out and protect a couple others from my hen, who's not their mother but doesn't mind hanging around them when they're out to play. mostly, he's one of my more skittish chicks.

Back
Top Bottom