Roo or Hen? Blue Orpington

No, that's just normal iridescence in his feathers. But he is 100% a cockerel. :)
Totally agree. Just wanting to learn because even looking at other threads, I have a hard time seeing the hackle and saddle feathers. I suppose since the hatchery says I have to wait until 14 weeks for a positive ID, it should be apparant to me by then. There's no denying this face lol

Attachments

• 20230530_184209.jpg
    20230530_184209.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 14
Trying to get an early refund from the hatchery so I can rehome (they require pics to confirm) and as of now, they said no signs pointing to him being a cockerel 🤥😐

Attachments

• 20230626_180737.jpg
    20230626_180737.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230626_174800.jpg
    20230626_174800.jpg
    802 KB · Views: 13
Trying to get an early refund from the hatchery so I can rehome (they require pics to confirm) and as of now, they said no signs pointing to him being a cockerel 🤥😐
I guess you will just have to wait until even they can't deny it!
He is definitely a cockerel.

I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed someone wants the other one first so I can hang onto him for a few weeks more...🙄

Looks like
I have asked around a little and the consensus is that this is a roo, but I wanted to check here to see if I should hold out hope or not. I ordered from a hatchery that vent sexes the chicks (obviously, I know this is not 100%). I noticed it's comb sprout and then things started clicking. This one is the least sociable. I think it's posture and strut is slightly different. It started off as the bravest for treats and such, but now just sit back and waits. hHowever, there are a few things that still have me questioning it. I actually ordered 2 bunches so most of my chicks are 6 weeks, but a few are 5 weeks (this one is 5 weeks). It is definately the smallest chick I have, even out of my 5 weekers. It is not where near the size of my buff orpington. I also see no signs of spurs development and even my hens have a dot there. So, I'm not sure. This is also my first time owning chicks, so I'm just curious if there is anything else that gives me a definite on this one yet.
A cockerel to me.

He's been confirmed and refunded! I also got them to refund my shipping since 2/3 of this order were incorrect. So very pleased with that.
I mean, would have been more pleased with a speckled sussex and blue orpington hens, but...

Now is anyone looking for a Black orpington?😆

Attachments

• 20230713_110712.jpg
    20230713_110712.jpg
    956.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
He's been confirmed and refunded! I also got them to refund my shipping since 2/3 of this order were incorrect. So very pleased with that.
I mean, would have been more pleased with a speckled sussex and blue orpington hens, but...

Now is anyone looking for a Black orpington?😆
He's not Black, he's a dark Blue.

Back
Top Bottom