roo or hen (pullet or cockerel) and breed? HELP!

SituationalLefty

Farm girl in the city.
Premium Feather Member
Jan 25, 2023
Rochester, NY
My Coop
My Coop
We got six female chicks from a local hatchery on Mar 17. We were well intentioned for buying from a local hatchery, but the place was very disorganized, bad communication, and I though I ordered the chicks in December I had to drive out there and get the chicks I'd ordered - 2 BuffOs, 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Speckled Sussex. Long story short: they only had the BOs for sure. The owner offered me two "production reds" and two of what he said were two Speckled Sussex.

Nine weeks later we have healthy chicks, but the breeds except for the BO are wrong. I think we got 2 brown leghorns (in the background below) which I DID NOT WANT, because flighty, aggressive, etc.) and two NH Reds.

They are affectionate and entertaining, but I think one of the ?NH reds? is a cockerel. He's always been the largest, has huge feet and now a red comb, wattles, etc. Below are some pics in which he's in the front of the shot.

And what is this breed? Production red? NH Red?

Since about week 4 I've been so convinced he's a cockerel that I named him Andy, hoping against hope we could rename (her) Andie.

We can't have roos because we're in the city, and he will have to be re-homed or prepared for the pot/freezer if he's a roo. ;-(

IMG_20230524_163544.jpg
IMG_20230524_163618.jpg
IMG_20230524_164010.jpg

Sagitta? That's what I get when I google "yellow legs" and "buff sussex"
I have never heard of them before, so I don't know if it does in deed look like one.
thanks for your input. I am so disappointed about Andy.
I think most likely he is a cockerel, but I am not 100% sure.
To me, there is still just a chance he could go either way.
So have a plan b, but maybe wait another couple of weeks just to be sure?

Back
Top Bottom