Roo or Hen?? Roux Dilute Coturnix

Discussion in 'Quail' started by The Critter Place, Jan 2, 2012.

1. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I just can't decide with this bird.
    I swear I saw and heard it crow while in with it's hatch mates, but now , not a peep out of it and the others are all outside. Calling all day! It doesn't answer back.

But looking at it, it seems like a hen to me... so a little help here please. lol...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    hen

edit again: ok this is my Roux Dilute roo that is in with my wild colors, as you can see, no brown spots on the breast

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  3. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    now that i look at him again, he looks very "cinnamon"esque...well w/e same thing no spots.

if you are POSITIVE that it crows, i can show you another male that looks like a female b/c it has brown spots on its breast, but this guy crows ALL DAY LONG

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Hen. Perdy girl.

5. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Hi Mibotsu!
    Yours is a beauty! Thanks for posting it !!

I couldn't decide if the chest of mine was spots or more like a dash. lol...

I'm pretty sure I saw it crow, but not positive. It's in with my Rosetta now, just put them together a bit ago. And it's showing no interest in her.

Like I said, looking at it I would say hen, but some behavior makes me wonder. lol...

Hatch date is Nov. 8, and i'ts been inside all this time.. so I would think eggs by now or soon if it's a hen. It's 8 weeks old today.

This one really has me puzzled! LOL!

6. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:We were posting at the same time. lol...

Thank you! I think it's "Perdy" too!

O.K. so its unanimous... Hen.. So I guess pairing it with the Rosetta is a bad Idea! [​IMG]

so outside the girls go to be with the others. [​IMG]

I'll pair the Rosetta and maybe the Roux too with the A & M's that hatched not to long ago if I get boys. (watch them be girls now that I want boys!) [​IMG]

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay

O.K. so its unanimous... Hen.. So I guess pairing it with the Rosetta is a bad Idea! [​IMG]

I'll pair the Rosetta and maybe the Roux too with the A & M's that hatched not to long ago if I get boys. (watch them be girls now that I want boys!) [​IMG]

When you want girls you get boys and when you want boys you get girls [​IMG]

Beautiful bird there!

8. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Gotcha!
    So we need to think/use reverse psychology ? [​IMG]

Thanks... It was a surprise and I love how it turned out. It is from our first hatch from our own birds. All wild brown, and this turned up. lol... Had 2 but lost one as a day old chick.

So that hatch was 6 out of 7 birds boys! [​IMG]

I guess we'll need to fire up the grill. LOL! Boys are way out numbering girls here. 7 girls, out of 21 quail of adult age. LOL!

9. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland

When you want girls you get boys and when you want boys you get girls [​IMG]

Beautiful bird there!

bold part is so true, my first hatch, i didn't care what hatched and i got 6/6 m/f, 2nd hatch i wanted hens, got 1/7 m/f, few hatches later, here i am with tons of females and only 4 roos lol.

10. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    I once got 7 hens out of 35 chicks hatched. Never been lucky with the hen to roo ratio from hatched eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by