Roo or Hen?? Roux Dilute Coturnix

The Critter Place

Songster
8 Years
Aug 13, 2011
Tucson, Az.
I just can't decide with this bird.
I swear I saw and heard it crow while in with it's hatch mates, but now , not a peep out of it and the others are all outside. Calling all day! It doesn't answer back.

But looking at it, it seems like a hen to me... so a little help here please. lol...

100_6641.jpg

100_6642.jpg

100_6640.jpg

now that i look at him again, he looks very "cinnamon"esque...well w/e same thing no spots.

if you are POSITIVE that it crows, i can show you another male that looks like a female b/c it has brown spots on its breast, but this guy crows ALL DAY LONG

Last edited:
Hi Mibotsu!
Yours is a beauty! Thanks for posting it !!

I couldn't decide if the chest of mine was spots or more like a dash. lol...

I'm pretty sure I saw it crow, but not positive. It's in with my Rosetta now, just put them together a bit ago. And it's showing no interest in her.

Like I said, looking at it I would say hen, but some behavior makes me wonder. lol...

Hatch date is Nov. 8, and i'ts been inside all this time.. so I would think eggs by now or soon if it's a hen. It's 8 weeks old today.

This one really has me puzzled! LOL!

Quote:
We were posting at the same time. lol...

Thank you! I think it's "Perdy" too!

O.K. so its unanimous... Hen.. So I guess pairing it with the Rosetta is a bad Idea!
lau.gif

so outside the girls go to be with the others.
big_smile.png

I'll pair the Rosetta and maybe the Roux too with the A & M's that hatched not to long ago if I get boys. (watch them be girls now that I want boys!)
gig.gif

Quote:

O.K. so its unanimous... Hen.. So I guess pairing it with the Rosetta is a bad Idea!
lau.gif

big_smile.png

I'll pair the Rosetta and maybe the Roux too with the A & M's that hatched not to long ago if I get boys. (watch them be girls now that I want boys!)
gig.gif

When you want girls you get boys and when you want boys you get girls
big_smile.png

Beautiful bird there!

Gotcha!
So we need to think/use reverse psychology ?
gig.gif

Thanks... It was a surprise and I love how it turned out. It is from our first hatch from our own birds. All wild brown, and this turned up. lol... Had 2 but lost one as a day old chick.

So that hatch was 6 out of 7 birds boys!
ep.gif

I guess we'll need to fire up the grill. LOL! Boys are way out numbering girls here. 7 girls, out of 21 quail of adult age. LOL!

Quote:

lau.gif

big_smile.png

gig.gif

When you want girls you get boys and when you want boys you get girls
big_smile.png

Beautiful bird there!

bold part is so true, my first hatch, i didn't care what hatched and i got 6/6 m/f, 2nd hatch i wanted hens, got 1/7 m/f, few hatches later, here i am with tons of females and only 4 roos lol.

I once got 7 hens out of 35 chicks hatched. Never been lucky with the hen to roo ratio from hatched eggs.

Back
Top Bottom