Roo or hen??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bbecca, Aug 15, 2016.

1. bbecca

bbecca Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2016
    Oregon
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Can anyone tell me if this is a Roo? I have 3 buff orpingtons total and 4 barred rock. "she" is distinctly different than the others.. Her comb is much larger than the rest. Also has a darker coloring on top of head. And I just noticed red little wattles underneath the beak and none of the other chicks have this yet. Also she's been picking fights with the others and is atleast on the top of the pecking order, if she's not a roo.

2nd question, if it is a Roo, do I need to seperate them or can a Roo stay in coop with hens? (First time chick owner)
    Thanks for your help!

2. bbecca

May 24, 2016
    Oregon
    Here's two more photos [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd say cockerel....you'll know for sure at 5-6 weeks by difference in comb and wattle size and color.

He can stay with other chicks for now, how you manage him as he becomes mature(around 3-4-5 months) is something to start thinking about now.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    cockerel

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

With Orpington you will have to wait it out.....Acting or looking cocky might just be pecking order among the chicks...You have weeks to figure it out.

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel, cute little fella

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    cockerel

8. bbecca

May 24, 2016
    Oregon
    Thanks for all the responses. Yes as time is going by I'm almost 100% sure it's a cockerel now. He's quite cute and my one son loves him. I'm debating on keeping him now. But I don't want fertil eggs. Thinking of keeping hens in coop and run and just letting him free range when he gets bigger so they stay seperate. Any thoughts on this?

9. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    He'll just pace the fence wanting in with the hens. I'd let him in with the hens or let the hens free range with him. Why do you now want fertile eggs?

10. bbecca

May 24, 2016
    Oregon
    @Gray Farms to be honest although I understand you can eat them, I'm kinda grossed out by the idea of eating fertile eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by