Roo or Hen?

ragerkid2

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Johnstown Pa
I got these light barahams from TSC and i got a straight run all the chicks look the same as the one on the right, but the one on the left is huge compared to the other ones. Does that mean he is a Roo?
Please Help
- Brandon
(they are 2 weeks and a couple days old in this pic)

Its hard to tell from your picture, but size is not necessarily an indicator of gender. Give it some time, watch her/his comb- if it starts to grow larger and turn red soon, you may have a roo. If you have a full body shot of the chick in question it will help folks guess.

Actually, the one the left is a pullet and the one on the right is a cockerel. They aren't hens and roosters until they are a year old
wink.png

The reason I am calling them that way is based on their wings. See the longer feathering in two layers on the left one? That usually tells me that it is a pullet. The blockier single row of feathers on the right chick tells me it is a cockerel. I hope this helps.

Females of the same breed with feather faster than males, I have read. But my thought is also, if it were that easy than everyone would be doing it with success....

Okay I"m no expert. but I remember my Grandmother tiping over the babbies and stretching their gender hole and if there was a bump protruding it was a roo and if the bump wasn't as big it was a Hen.. thats all I remember.. thats why I buy my chicks and not hatch.. I eneded up with 4 roos and 2 hens.. not a good combo..

Take pictures of all of them and post them. We can help you weigh in on how many boys you have. hey, that is what us smarty pants are here for
wink.png
This is my favorite part of the game.

Back
Top Bottom