Roo or Pullet???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by onawhimfarm, Mar 27, 2012.

1. onawhimfarm

onawhimfarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2011
    Klingerstown, PA
    Here are a couple of pictures of my 5 week old babies. They are mix breeds. Any idea's???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    # 1, AM/FBCM Black with copper neck and black tufts, I believe this one is a roo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    #2 EE/Production Red, Red/Tan, I'm on the fence with this one. Acts very bossy but not as bad as #1

[​IMG]

#3, Cochin, all black, this one is the most timid, but the comb is larger than the red ones but not very pink... I truely suck at figuring out sex! Of course, these 3 are all I kept from my hatch of 12. So they will probably all be roo's, right!!

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    1 is a cockerel
    2 is a pullet
    3 looks like a pullet as well but i could be wrong there

3. onawhimfarm

Dec 21, 2011
    Klingerstown, PA
    Really!! Thats awesome!! Thanks so much!!

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I'm calling Roo, Roo, Pullet. But yes Murphy's Law dictates that any chick you keep out of your own hatchings will be male.

5. onawhimfarm

Dec 21, 2011
    Klingerstown, PA
    Well, we will never know what the 2 black chicks would have been. [​IMG] I went out to care for them the other day and there was piles of feathers outside the run and only the brown chick was left!! I have no idea what got them!! I moved the remaining chick back to the brooder with my 3 welsummer freshly hatched chicks and they seem to be doing well together. I'm going to get a game camera to see what the heck is messing around my grow out pen and will disbatch it as soon as I can! [​IMG] I have had chickens coming on a year now and I have had NO problems until this!! I'm so mad and upset about this... but I guess it is all part of learning and improving...

6. Kerrigirl

Kerrigirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by