Conder

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 26, 2013
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
middle one

top left

top right

I brought home 4 buff Orpingtons and want to know if this one is just feathering quicker or if she is a he lol

Yes, age would be nice. Also, refer to the photo guidelines for this forum in the pale brown box at the top of the forum thread list for the pics that would be helpful. It's always hard to sex birds in far-away shots like these.

Yes, age would be nice. Also, refer to the photo guidelines for this forum in the pale brown box at the top of the forum thread list for the pics that would be helpful. It's always hard to sex birds in far-away shots like these.

The birds are still new to me and don't much like having a camera in their face yet, i thought maybe size would help determine but if what ccccccchickens said is true then that's not the case. Sorry I'm new to the forums and new to chickens I will try to get a shot of her/his face and comb tonight

The birds are still new to me and don't much like having a camera in their face yet, i thought maybe size would help determine but if what ccccccchickens said is true then that's not the case. Sorry I'm new to the forums and new to chickens I will try to get a shot of her/his face and comb tonight
Mine never like having a camera in their faces--I don't have any tame chickens. I catch them and either hold them at arms length and snap the photo, or have someone else hold them while I take the pic. Like this:

BTW, this is a 10 week old EE cockerel.

Pretty bird and my birds are 8-9 weeks
Thanks. His good looks saved him from the meat pen this spring. You should see him now--looks identical to a blue wheaten Ameraucana with the exception of that modified pea comb.

I am unsure about your chick. It's a very pink comb, that's for sure--but it doesn't scream rooster to me. I personally would give it a few more weeks and ask again. Orps are a very slow-maturing breed.

Thanks. His good looks saved him from the meat pen this spring. You should see him now--looks identical to a blue wheaten Ameraucana with the exception of that modified pea comb.

I am unsure about your chick. It's a very pink comb, that's for sure--but it doesn't scream rooster to me. I personally would give it a few more weeks and ask again. Orps are a very slow-maturing breed.
Thank you for your help, I really like this chicken. It stands out in the crowd and let's me pick it up. Doesn't mind perching for a bit either. I am hoping its not a roo because I don't want to see it go.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help, I really like this chicken. It stands out in the crowd and let's me pick it up. Doesn't mind perching for a bit either. I am hoping its not a roo because I don't want to see it go.
I also hope it's not a roo--but that liking to be picked up and perching on you is juvenile rooster behavior. It's actually fairly aggressive behavior, if you think about it.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom