Roo or Pullet???

bantambury

life does go on.
6 Years
Sep 3, 2013
North Carolina
Ok so i know silkies are hard to distinguish the genders with, but i have no idea if my white silkie eggy is a roo or pullet. He is very reserved and loves to hang out with my pullet blue silkie. He is very loud and squacky when you pick him up. He has a strawberry comb, but i know silkies can have mixed comb types. He seems to have a small puff on hi head with streamers too. He has rather long legs and a long neck and looks longer and slimmer than my pullet but he has no spurs begining to grow and im positive he doesnt crow.....do silkies even crow??? Ok just wondering if a few people can help here are some pics.

Strawberry comb

No spurs just a small bump

Streamers????

Long legs and neck

Hes longer than my blue pullet and has less puffiness

No head "puff" compared to my blue in the background

Last edited:
Definitely a cockerel. A Silkie pullet of that age (or really any age) will rarely have a comb that red/prominent. The long legs are also a sign of a cockerel. Hope you can keep him!

Definitely a cockerel. A Silkie pullet of that age (or really any age) will rarely have a comb that red/prominent. The long legs are also a sign of a cockerel. Hope you can keep him!
Thanks! Yeah we may have to get rid of him.... So sad we are only getting 3 eggs a week with 5 chickens two of which are roosters

I had one as nice as yours called Tiny. He was beautiful. He was a partridge silkie and he would lie on his back like yours, on your knee. He used to follow me everywhere. Tried everything to keep him, but in the end it wasn't fair on him because he wanted to crow all the time (of course I live in the city). Eventually re-homed him to an older couple who had some silkie hens for him. I still miss him now.

Back
Top Bottom