roo pen

Gonzo

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Southwestern, In
What's the best way to do a roo pen? I have too many roo's I'm thinking around 12... 42 birds in all... I want to put some of the guys in a pen together and keep them that way.. They've all been reaised together from the get go, will I have problems with them fighting when they're older?

It would be just like any other pen I would give them a little more room than normal for chasing purposes LOL. I have kept Bachelor pads before and they do OK.

AL

We have a bachelor pad for our roos...they all get along just fine together and actually snuggle up together.I also have all ages in there together. I have a huge red leghorn that has been around awhile that has pretty much adopted my young Delaware and protects him from the cocky white leghorn I have.
We have a large coop with a big tree roost for them that opens right into their own pasture so they can always get away from each other if they want their own personal time and space.

A bachelor pad...what a terrific idea...I guess I, too, thought they would fight amongst themselves too much.
tongue.png

I am SO glad I read this today. I was just about to give away some gorgeous Marans (Black/Copper and Cuckoo) because I have too many roos for my hens...I hated to do it because they are all gorgeous.

So instead my DH now has yet ANOTHER chicken project...building a bachelor pad for the guys!
cool.png

Awesome...THANK YOU!!!!
wink.png

No problem as long as my dh doesn't have to do the building!! He's sick of building chicken coops and pastures every weekend.
I should have added all of my roo's are nice and not aggressive towards other animals or people. It may not work as well if a roo has attitude...but those are dinner here and I think they know it.

Back
Top Bottom