Roo question

mossyoakpro

Songster
Jun 9, 2022
South Georgia
My roo is 18 weeks old and as you can imagine his hormones are raging and he is harassing the pullets relentlessly. To make matters worse he challenged my bride yesterday and she was not happy....He does not face off with me as I have shown him who is the boss around here...I told my bride to do the same thing but I think she's scared to do it.

Question is: Do they chill out as they age or once a butthole always a butthole? I'm hoping I did not mess up by getting a RIR roo....if so, he will be rehomed like the other one was and I'll find another more docile breed of roo. TIA

He doesn't mess with you because you were always in his presence. Don't force your bride to be around him he's gonna do some serious damage to her. Since she is technically a stranger to him.

Most cockerels are like that cause there experiencing raging hormone for the first time. And don't know how to control themselves. For some breeds it takes 1 to 2 years of age to mellow out.

Most people see the cockerel stage and assume they'll be like that forever. So they quickly get rid of it.

Patience and time, will result in a great rooster.

Do they chill out as they age or once a butthole always a butthole?
They tend to stay buttholes if that's how they get treated. Cut them some slack, we were all young once, show him some respect and understanding and eventually you'll have a proper rooster you can live with.
They're a bit like farm dogs; they only respond well to one person.

Chickens in general like a repetitive schedule or appearance of there owner. This includes morning chores around your flock. And socializing with them so they can hear what there owner sounds like. It gives them reassurance that there safe.
Makes sense...he was eating out of my hand this afternoon. He has been great today and has not been a jerk. I really want to keep him so I am going to give him some time to get his testosterone under control. LOL

My wife does garden chores every morning so I am going to get her to start talking to him and see what happens....she did help raise him but nothing like I did.

They tend to stay buttholes if that's how they get treated. Cut them some slack, we were all young once, show him some respect and understanding and eventually you'll have a proper rooster you can live with.
They're a bit like farm dogs; they only respond well to one person.
I try to talk to him and I actually hand fed him some grubs today...he's really getting used to being the only rooster, he seems to be very alert to what's going on and that's exactly why I have him since I free range all day every day. Fingers crossed that he gets a better attitude down the road.

Back
Top Bottom