roo signs of aggression I need help

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
My four month old roo is starting to show signs of aggression. He is starting to puff up when I go to feed them and he also started doing that dance towards me today. I really don't want to get rid of him I just paid 60 dollars for him. Is there anything I can do to keep him from getting more aggressive???

Thanks,
MIchelle

th.gif
x2

Thanks this is helpful. So when do I teach him a lesson? Do I do it when he puffs up? Do I do it when he dances toward me or should I wait to do it if he starts flogging? Should I try to nip it in the bud and teach him a lesson when he does any of the above?

Thanks

Nip it in the bud NOW! Don't wait til it becomes a fight, someone could get hurt. When he ruffles his feathers at you, or dances at you, first thing you do is pin him to the ground til he submits

So I should do this anytime he puffs his feathers??? What do you mean by submitting to me? How do I know when he has done this. Like I did pin him earlier when he started dancing towards me. He did become still after about 2 minutes he started wiggling again. When he was still for those two minutes was he submitting to me?? I didn't know when he started wiggling again does that mean he was challenging me or could he have just been starting to get uncomfortable. I guess I just need to know if I do this everytime he puffs and how do I know when he submits. Thanks, so much.

He is submissive when he becomes still. I sometimes pin mine even tho he is not acting aggressive, he will often lay there a min. or so after I let go. All I do is gently push him to the ground with my hand on his back, til he is "squatting". I started dominating mine from the beginning, none of them have ever acted aggressive. My Mom had an aggressive rooster when I as teen, and I was the one he always wanted to go after. I ensured mine would not. Another thing to do is stalk him, make him move away from you. The first to move loses the dominance battle. Do not let him mate with hens in your presence, knock him off the hen when he tries to mate.

Hmmm okay, should I do this when he pulls the girls feathers to hard too???? I have another roo that is really nice and quiet that is about 5 months should I do this with him too even though he hasn't shown any signs of aggression??? Well I am getting geared up gonna take a big sweater so I can puff up and look big and I am getting ready to do a little dance. LOL!!!!
lau.gif
Hope no one sees me. Should I get my kids to do this also??? Do roos always need to feel somewhat scared of you? It is just hilarious that this guy would even pull this with me. I mean he is only about 4 months and he is at the most 3 lbs and I am 5 foot 4 and 140 pounds. LOL!!! I can't believe he really thinks he can kick my butt. LOL!!!!!!!!!!
gig.gif
Oh yea, one more question if I puff up and do the dance and he submits do I still need to pen him??

Thanks
tongue.png

Quote:

Thanks, for all the good advice yesterday. He started his stuff when I went down. All it took is a couple of stare downs, one dance and for me to walk toward him a few times and he definitely submitted. Looks like he didn't want to tumble with big mama afterall.
lau.gif
His over all attitude today was a lot better. So there looks like there might be hope after all that I won't have to get rid of him or turn him into soup.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks,
Michelle

Back
Top Bottom