1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo to hen ratio questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hiddenacres, Jan 22, 2014.

1. hiddenacres

hiddenacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    New Milford, Pa
    Hey everybody I'm having problems with rooster to hen ratio. If I have 22 hens and 3 roosters do you think they will have problems one rooster is a bantam cochin one is a bantam modern game and one is an americauna do you think they will have problems.
    If it helps then the hens are 2 bantam cochins, 2 bantam modern game, 8 red sex links, 3 amber rocks, 2 silkies, and 5 americaunas. Thanks for the help
    Aaron

2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    In my research I have read/heard 1 rooster for every 8-10 hens is a good ratio to ensure that eggs are all fertile. Some roosters can handle more hens, others can't. I don't know for sure, because this is the first year I have kept a rooster. I have 2 mature roosters for 17 hens right now, and I haven't had any feather loss issues.

3. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    x2

4. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

8-10 is an average amount per rooster, but I had a roo that had 12 hens to himself and all but 1 had feather loss. Every time I saw him he was mounting a hen. We named him Casanova. He is in the freezer now because he was too much for the hens and became aggressive to people.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    There are no definitive answers. Every flock has different dynamics, and the chickens all have their own different personalities. I would say a flock of 22 hens with 3 roosters that is primarily free ranged over plenty of ground it could work. Could. Not that it will without a doubt. I think if this same flock were to be kept in a run and coop most of the time, the chances are not so likely. The only way you're going to know is to give it a try, and keep an eye on your birds. If the roosters seem to be fighting excessively (there will be some squabbles to establish dominance), or your hens are constantly being chased or overbred, you need to have a plan on how you are going to get rid of the extra rooster.

1 person likes this.
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Exactly what I was going to say....now I just don't have to type it all out! [​IMG]

7. hiddenacres

hiddenacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    New Milford, Pa
    thanks all for the help i really appreciated it[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by