Roo to Hen ratio

Yes my thought process was definitely that if we handle and socialize him he’d be better off and sweet but reading through lots of threads it definitely makes sense now! We have friends that want them for meat should we decide not to keep them, which it’s looking like may be the best decision for our family for now. The pullet bin at TSC didn’t seem to work in our favor haha. Thank you all so much for the insight.

Hmm tough decision. I know how hard it is to get rid of sweet boys. A lot of people have stories of rooster attacks, and I have been attacked too, but in saying that, not all roosters will turn aggressive, some stay good.
I have one that I hatched and raised as an only chick, followed me everywhere and let me pat him, when he grew up he also grew a healthy respect for me and the hens, he only mates with them when they squat for him and I was sure he'd turn out aggressive to me but he's changed and become very respectful. He's also a Wyandotte which is the same breed I was attacked by in the past but this roo has turned out good and wouldn't hurt anyone, no matter how young. the hens also love him very much.
So I guess there is no real way of knowing how a rooster is going to turn out, just because it's a little bit friendlier.
I do think 3 roosters is too many though and I'd suggest just keeping one if you want and see how that goes. 3 roosters crowing might be a little bit annoying anyway lol

Hmm tough decision. I know how hard it is to get rid of sweet boys. A lot of people have stories of rooster attacks, and I have been attacked too, but in saying that, not all roosters will turn aggressive, some stay good.
I have one that I hatched and raised as an only chick, followed me everywhere and let me pat him, when he grew up he also grew a healthy respect for me and the hens, he only mates with them when they squat for him and I was sure he'd turn out aggressive to me but he's changed and become very respectful. He's also a Wyandotte which is the same breed I was attacked by in the past but this roo has turned out good and wouldn't hurt anyone, no matter how young. the hens also love him very much.
So I guess there is no real way of knowing how a rooster is going to turn out, just because it's a little bit friendlier.
I do think 3 roosters is too many though and I'd suggest just keeping one if you want and see how that goes. 3 roosters crowing might be a little bit annoying anyway lol

Well here’s to hoping ours stays sweet! We will play it by ear and if need be we can give them to our friends. It does stink thinking about having to get rid of him though I won’t lie! :):hmm

Oh man I didn’t even think of him being so comfortable that he wouldn’t think of us as a threat. Hopefully he’ll just continue to always be sweet haha. My daughter is 3 and I’ve read a lot about the damage roosters can do to people especially little ones so that’s always in my mind as well.

Update after I’ve done a little light research.. we will definitely start being hands off with Pumpkin.
If your chickens are more pets than livestock, I'd suggest getting rid of all the cockerels for now. Your hens will be more friendly without them, and you won't have to worry as much about your little one getting injured. Attacks can happen so fast you don't even see it coming. Especially if you don't recognize the warning signs that they are thinking about it.

Your Pumpkin looks just like our barred rock chickens. This is a picture of our laying pullets (8 months).

october 10 2012 barred rock.jpg

Our cockerel Cuddles actually didn’t look much different than the pullet until his tail grew taller (about 3 months). Even when he started crowing, when he was 2 months old, we were not really sure because he still looked so much like the pullets. He was a very ‘sweet’, affectionate, outgoing cockerel and our ‘favorite’ until the pullets and hens brought out the rooster in him when he was about 6 months old.
cuddles and dharma october 10 2012.jpg

In our experience, instead of figuring out what the right ratio is, it is better to focus on the nature of the cockerel and the type of flock that fits in your lifestyle.

We humans like creatures that are cuddly, begging for attention and following us around as a puppy. This is probably why Pumpkin is so sweet in your daughter’s eyes. But the needs of that sweet creature will change. At some point he wants you and your kids to leave his hens and nests alone. He doesn’t appreciate you cleaning the coop. Because in his protective rooster eyes you are disturbing his territory and it is in his nature to protect that. But when he turns on you, in your eyes, sweet Pumpkin turned into this aggressive ungrateful monster. This can be heartbreaking after all those months of extra love and affection you gave him.

So, we also experienced that the most affectionate cockerel turned into the most demanding, dominant and aggressive rooster. Over the past 6 years we re-homed 7 cockerels/roosters until we found the right match for our free ranging flock.

In your case, you want eggs and pets. So, I would recommend re-homing all the roosters (especially with your young kids). When the pullet become hens they become more affectionate, tame and lovable, whereas the cockerels become the opposite when they become roosters. Even in the best case scenario, when a rooster is not aggressive, they will need an alpha flock leader and can never be left alone with young kids. Because they can easily hurt someone with their sharp beak, talons and spurs even when they just want to peck, scratch the food out of your hand...That gentle little harmless cockerel has transformed forever...

I personally love roosters and we always have one in our free ranging flock. It is endearing to see a rooster calling his hens when he finds a tasty insect. He will always have one eye to the sky and is always very vigilant so that his hens can forage without worry. But it took us a couple of years to get the right flock and rooster. Knowing the breed is not enough. Each chicken has its own personality that has to match with your lifestyle and personality.

Enjoy your lovely flock :) .

Ah, Mrs. K... the first person I EVER heard the suggestion that a friendly cockerel *could* be an issue.
Really!?!?
I've read dozens of times, and have written,
that once you know they are males(around 6wks) to stop handling/cuddling.
'Familiarity breeds contempt' definitely applies to cockerels.

Oh, and, regarding the topic of male to female ratios:
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.

It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.

Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc

It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

Really!?!?
I've read dozens of times, and have written,
that once you know they are males(around 6wks) to stop handling/cuddling.
'Familiarity breeds contempt' definitely applies to cockerels.
I have read many a good suggestion from you! :thumbsup

I just remember the first time I read that one was a thread the person was deciding which cockerel to keep and was super surprised to have read that her suggestion was to get rid of the "friendly" cockerel first. :eek: :( So I said WHAAA, WHY? Now I hate to have to perpetuate it. But it is a possibly reality that DID get me. Though I know not all will behave the same... not worth the risk. But at least putting it on peoples' radars will help them to make a semi informed decision.

Turns out friendliness... not just in cockerels but MANY species... isn't friendliness at all, but confidence mistaken for friendliness on the part of the human. :confused: AND this is true for the hens as well. We can call them friendly if we want. But it's usually on their terms.

Some (ladies) genuinely do enjoy hanging out... even some who DON'T want to be on my lap or handled will get as close to my foot as possible and relax and chat and stuff.

Your hens will be more friendly without them,

That is SOOO true and a VERY good point! :thumbsup

I see it over and OVER again... when I move my roos out of the stag pen to the ladies, and back. They are WAY less friendly when the boy is around and when he leaves they friendly back up again in a few more days. A phenomena my daughter and I have both recently noticed... in my LF and bantams. He teaches them to avoid us except for treats. Some gals don't listen or care what he says. But we definitely see the difference. :hmm

Back
Top Bottom