Roo to hen ratio

txcharlielynn

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 4, 2013
Texas
I currently have 19 6 week old chicks that have been raised together since day 3. I'm start in to suspect that I have not 1, but 2 roos. At this point, I've become rather attached to both Gandalf the Grey and "Mother" (perhaps father?) Clucker and would hate to rehome either of them. So would about 8 hens to rooster be a good ratio? I'm not opposed to adding to the flock :)

It's usually one rooster per 8-12 hens, your two Roos might work out. :) It also depends on your rooster's temperament, some refuse to share! Once their hormones start kicking in they might be a bit more aggressive.

I currently have 19 6 week old chicks that have been raised together since day 3. I'm start in to suspect that I have not 1, but 2 roos. At this point, I've become rather attached to both Gandalf the Grey and "Mother" (perhaps father?) Clucker and would hate to rehome either of them. So would about 8 hens to rooster be a good ratio? I'm not opposed to adding to the flock
smile.png
welcome-byc.gif
It could work out, since they have been raised together. You won't know until they get to breeding age and hormones kick in. There may be some kerfluffles as they try to establish dominance, or there may be some outright battles. You'll just have to keep an eye on things. Even if they each have their own harems, they may fight now and again. I would suggest not getting too attached at this point, as you may have to get rid of one to keep peace in the flock.

We have about 16 birds and two roosters. They sort of formed their own flocks but slept together in the barn. The younger of the two roosters started become aggressive to our senior rooster and they wound up fighting. The younger rooster didn't make it and now we have one rooster for the 16 girls. It seems to be working out alright so far but it's a little much for just one, I think.

We have about 16 birds and two roosters. They sort of formed their own flocks but slept together in the barn. The younger of the two roosters started become aggressive to our senior rooster and they wound up fighting. The younger rooster didn't make it and now we have one rooster for the 16 girls. It seems to be working out alright so far but it's a little much for just one, I think.
Yep, that does happen sometimes. My friend's young rooster killed the older one in a fight. (they were father and son, but chickens really don't care about that.) It doesn't happen every time two roosters fight, and I honestly don't know how common it is. Just that it CAN happen.

I had a couple of roo's that grew up together. They got along fine until they reached sexual maturity. They got into some pretty ugly battles. After dominance was established, even the hens would bully the other rooster. We ultimately ended up killing the odd man out because he came to be very human aggressive. The first time he went after my daughter was the last..its a shame too. He was a good lookin fella :/

Back
Top Bottom