1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo unable to stand/bloody poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by frizzlemom, Jan 27, 2011.

1. frizzlemom

frizzlemom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Nebraska
    I found my little frizzle roo unable to walk about a week ago, seemed one leg was paralized. I brought him in, he didn't seem to have an injury, but his little foot was curled up and he could only stay upright by using his wing to hold himself up. He's been eating and drinking well, I gave poly vi sol vitamins. Yesterday I thought he might be a little better, he ate alot last nite and seemed a little stronger. Today I noticed his poop has blood in it, and he is very lethargic and not interested in eating. No one else in the coop has been ill, I thought he got injured but now I think there's more wrong with him. Also today his comb and wattles are a very pale pink, they were normal yesterday.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Becky

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    The only thing I can think of is possibly coccidiosis. It would be unusual, but it can happen. I found this when I was searching for what could be going on with your rooster

"Can adult chickens get coccidiosis too?

Yes. They can. There are exceptions to the rule, but on the rare occasion that an adult chicken comes down with coccidiosis, it is usually because it has been introduced to a new strain of oocysts in the soil. This can happen if a chicken is moved to a new location or if adult chickens from another location are introduced, exposing the "native" chicken to new strains of protozoa. Adult chickens with a coccidial infestation generally take it much harder than a chick and may take longer to recover. "

I hope someone comes along that knows more about this than I do.
    Sure hope he gets better.

ETA: He isn't a young chick, right?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by