Roo violence.. head injury

Wry neck may never fully recover they can regress at times and maybe that's why they took advantage of him while he was back to showing more symptoms.
It's possible, but this may have been a simple showdown between the two most assertive roos (out of only 3). In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have intervened in the past when they were working out their pecking order in a less severe way.

The injured (original wry neck) roo likely would not have backed down. It actually grew out quite strong and confident with no sign of irregular anything that I could see. I could be wrong, but it seems like these two were dominant equals, taking turns being the alpha. Wry neck was just a bit smaller.

The more mellow third roo benefitted from all this drama. For separating purposes, I had to put it in with the hens. Rewarded for good behavior. My first breeding set I guess

Thanks, but really, are bachelor injuries usually worse than this? Video is coming.. :D
I had a male that was scalped literally to the bone, hence the alcohol pad I mentioned using once. His feathers never grew in properly after that (like a really bad comb over toupee) and he had some issues afterwards, but he did survive surprisingly. Quail can be quite the little savagea

Oh yes, they will kill each other if not caught soon enough you will see how they can be soon enough if you keep them in numbers. As @JacinLarkwell stated they can be hard to manage little savages at times.
What have you discovered to work best to avoid the savagery? What is kind of the best practice for

Prevention?
-Separating identified roos at 3 weeks
-Culling extra roos at 8 weeks or earlier?
-Keeping the bachelor pads in a generally darker (less light) state
-Monitor as closely as possible
-Anything else?

After the violence is discovered?
-Cull the aggressor?
-Reintroduce the aggressor with other roos again?
- ?

Back
Top Bottom