Roo violence.. head injury

I think those head movements are him trying to get up. It sounds like his legs are paralyzed. I'm thinking at this point it may be kindest to cull him.

It is difficult to keep multiple males. That's why a lot of people who hatch quail learn to eat the extras.
There are so many firsts in quail keeping. Everyone probably remembers their first incubator, receiving their first hatching eggs, their first time candling, their first chick!, definitely their first egg!, and well, then there's this first, the one you can't put off forever :oops:

There are so many firsts in quail keeping. Everyone probably remembers their first incubator, receiving their first hatching eggs, their first time candling, their first chick!, definitely their first egg!, and well, then there's this first, the one you can't put off forever :oops:
It's never easy. My very first cull was a chick whose toes were so curled that they were like little fists. I tried taping them, I tried physical therapy by stretching and working those toes for a few days.

I hated doing it, but that chick was never going to be able to walk.

Is a 6-week old quail big enough to butcher for meat? This may be a dumb question. And secondly, after butchering, do you put the meat straight in to the freezer, or is there a delay required relating to rigor mortis etc.?

Is a 6-week old quail big enough to butcher for meat? This may be a dumb question. And secondly, after butchering, do you put the meat straight in to the freezer, or is there a delay required relating to rigor mortis etc.?
Six weeks is big enough to eat. Wait for rigor to pass before freezing. 24 hours is the usual wait.

Have you read my article on how to process?

There seems to be a small improvement but he's still not standing. One thing to note is that when I hold him up in a make-shift walking position, the head movement now stops completely and he eats and drinks normally. He also appears alert and calm. As soon as stop supporting him, he lies back down and the head spasms begin again. It presents like a neurological misfiring or disconnect between his brain and standing.
I’m so sorry to hear that he is not recovering. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time.
❤️🙏🏻🙏🏻

I’m so sorry to hear that he is not recovering. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time.
❤️🙏🏻🙏🏻
Thanks QuailQueen. This roo is also my first ever hatchling. He persisted through a lot, born early with a wry neck, flip flopping and rolling around in the incubator, head twitching, couldn't walk or stand reliably, but he persisted. He then crawled around on his stomach for 2 or 3 days in the brooder, and then I think walked with a hobble very close to the ground for 2 more days, and then just like that, a full recovery with no hint of odd walking or anything. Blended right in. He was a fighter, and I think he ultimately stood up to the dominant roo in the bachelor pad. It is sad that he's back to where he started after successfully battling back like that.

Back
Top Bottom