Roo with a broken beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fabfarm, Jan 4, 2015.

1. fabfarm

fabfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    Hi everyone i have delt with small chips in beaks but my roo seems to have quite a large amount of his beak missing. He does seem to he struggling with eating especially when he tries picking up the scratch off the ground an out of my hand. I am wondering if his beak will grow back all the way. I have no idea how he managed to do that so badly. I am a little concerned to see him not eating as much. Does anyone have any advice?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    His beak will grow back but I cant tell you how soon. Hopefully it is the top part that is broken, because if the bottom is broken, then he cant drink water. People do trim off the top of roosters beaks so they don't fight with other roosters. Well, actually it does not stop the fighting , but it prevents rooster from doing great harm to other roosters. Just keep hand feeding him till he recovers some. Chicken feed crumbles should go down the gullet if he pecks into a deeper pile. You get the idea. BEST WISHES

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by