Roo with black scabs on comb

AtomicPenguin

Chirping
Oct 28, 2009
Central Louisiana
I've seen references (by searching) to fowl pox or chicken pox. The pictures I've seen here don't really resemble it but I could be incorrect. My roo is the only one with it.

Any idea what this is? I guess they are scabs because I noticed some blood on their feeder where his comb would have been rubbing at. Should I isolate him?

IMG_0322.JPG

roo2.jpg

roo1.jpg

Looks like he just injured it, he will be fine, i have about 50 roo's left right now and i see this pretty often.

This is my BR notice his comb in the front looks like yours IMO.
bart-1.jpg

Here's another roo that has bug bites on his comb,see the black specks
DSC00109.jpg

It looks like an injusry to me too, maybe from the feeder. Putting their heads in too small of places, fighting through a fence, this type of thing. Also if there are biting flies or something and he scratches with sharp toenails. The way it is mostly on the backs of the ends make me think hes doing it pulling his head back through a hole it the pen.

Quote:
Seperate him for 3 or 4 days away from the others. By then you'll be able to tell if it's fowl pox or not, It'll have spread all over his comb and wattles by then. If it's pecking or injuries, they'll have probably healed by then and you can release him back with the others. Better to be safe than sorry.

I disagree, I would not separate him. Always disrupts the flock dynamics to some extent. If it is fowl pox, whoever gets it will be immune, and if all they get is the black spots, it is not a problem for them. Might put a little betadine or neospirin on the spots so they don't get infected. I let it run through my flock two years ago and now everyone is immune. Could be some other bug bite or pecking, too.

I forgot to add that by seperating the rooster and if it turns out to be fowl pox, you can purhase fowl pox vaccine at your feed store or order it from jeffers livestock.com and vaccinate the rest of your chickens providing immunity. Then you wont have worry about possible secondary infections requiring antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom