Roo with crossed beak

Elliebeans

Songster
Aug 5, 2019
Tasmania, Australia
This is my boy Nugget, he's a little special but we love him and as you can see he has a crossed beak. He's reached 10 months old ok and seems to be in good condition. He sometimes struggles with picking food up but can get there eventually. I was wondering if a bit of a trim of his beak might help him or if his beak isn't bad enough to warrant it.
Also if I do trim his beak is it that hard to do it yourself? I'd be worried about hurting him so would consider taking him to a vet, but would also worry if that experience would stress him out too much.
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20200225_191754.jpg
    20200225_191754.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 15
Have you tried dampening the food? It might allow him to get more.

If he has made 10 months, he must be getting enough. In my experience, they tend to out grow their ability to eat, and get too thin, weak and die. At 10 months, he should be or close to full size and must be holding his own. I would weigh him.

Mrs K

Thank you for your replies. I haven't weighed him but I have felt his keel and he feels ok, size wise I'm not worried about him, he seems on par with other Silkie roos. I've not got worries about his condition, I just want to make sure he's as comfortable as possible.
I'll make some pellets into a mash from him and separate him from the ladies daily for a feed by himself.
By the way, I am not hatching any eggs from the ladies he's in with, he's a pet only.

I got him with some of his brothers and sisters when he was a bit too young for me to tell exactly what sex he was. I wasn't going to get him but he was either standing on my feet making it hard to move or trying to get into the carrier so I decided he was trying to say "take me with you", so that's what I did. I have since sold his siblings on but couldn't get rid of him.

We have a cross beaked roo as well. used to play soccer for minutes on end trying to pick up pieces of cat food off the porch. We trim down the whitish looking tips of his beak to make it fit better and now he can usually get a piece of cat food on the first time and always by the third. He did bleed a little bit the first time we did it I just dabed a little corn starch on it the slow the flow and he was no worse for wear. I also used a towel to make a nice tight chicken wrap to keep him easy to control. Best wishes to you and your roo.

Edit we simply use cat and dog toenail trimmers to do the deed.
Edited

I couldn't resist his name is Bill, Cull Bill😜

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom