Roo with issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by honeynajar, Sep 19, 2014.

1. honeynajar

honeynajar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I fed my crew Tuesday night...noticed the one big roo Rodger was laying on top of a crate. He didn't get up and come get treats... which made me suspicious. When he hadn't gotten up by the next morning, I picked him up. All was well on the underside of him.... his feet look normal and no thorns....I felt his legs up and there was nothing broken, swollen or different that I could see. But when I put him down to stand up, he promptly fell to the ground and couldn't/wouldnt stand. I put him in the coop for protection, but found him outside the coop but under the run stairs... like he had been forced out. He stayed there for a day and night. Last night I checked him out again... can't find anything wrong with him other than he's getting thin but I don't think he's moving to get any food or water. I crated him with food and water - but I'm clueless as to what else to do. He's not moving on his own... I situated him so that I would know if he moved. He didn't in 14 hours. Any thoughts? I have way too many roos and am in the process of downsizing so this could indeed be a fight injury. I just don't know if I should do anything else.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Can he move his legs or do they dangle uselessly when you hold him? It's quite possibly a damaged spine or pelvic area. In which case chances are with enough time lying still he will heal.

Best wishes.

3. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    One seems to move on it's own the other one is dangling useless

4. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Best bet for now is to let him sit somewhere quiet and safe with food and water within reach and his legs in a correct position beneath him... Probably. There's a chance it's a serious break. Can't tell without looking at him first hand, generally.

Best wishes.

5. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    Well then looks like I've done good. :) He's def safe from predators and the weather and had food and water within beak's reach. I'll just wait and see what happens.

6. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    About all you can do, it sounds like you've already done.

Best wishes with him.

7. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Worth mentioning worms can cause paralysis, though... When were they last wormed?

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would be suspicious that he may have Mareks disease, botulism, or poisoning of some kind. Botulism commonly causes paralysis of one leg or wing, and loss of balance. Caging him near food and water are best to observe him. Here are some links to read on Mareks and botulism:
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/#/disease/Marek's_Disease
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism

9. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    Eggcessive... this line depicts Rodger perfectly.

Neural form:
    Characterized by one, all, or none of the following symptoms -
    • Progressive paralysis, usually of the leg or wing, a typical leg-paralysis victim will
    have one leg extended forward and one leg extended back. A swelling of the sciatic
    nerve is the cause.

Which is listed in the signs of Mareks. I've not checked the Sciatic nerve tho - need to look up to see exactly where it is. Now what? My crew have never been vac'd for Mareks.

I had "assumed" roo combat but was puzzled by the lack of other injury and /or blood that should have resulted by such an injury.

Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  10. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by